Testing

You will learn more by building it than you will ever learn by using it to carry out tests

Beg to differ. You can do all of the tests on it. Additionally you can put in a bridge in the ring final and see how this affects the resistance results. As resistors are built in to replicate 20m or 30m runs then it is very accuate. Getting into teh correct way of joining earth and phase together and testing is very useful. Additionally, I like learning testing by being hands on and I remember things better by taking practical approach. You or others may be different and just prefer books. Horses for courses I suppose.

where will you put it, once it's usefulness runs out?

a) EBAY - loads of students out there.
b) What screws on - screw off - use them for installations
c) MDF - a million and one uses for off cuts.

Or, even better, why not actually test the circuits in your house?

My wife keeps on beating me up every time I isolate CU to bridge earth and phase to work out resistance of ring final ring whilst shes watching Hollyoaks :cry:

Opinions are opinions. I like my test board (and so do NICEIC!)

PS THOMO27 You have got e-mail!!

Sponsored Links
RJB, don't be shy, post the pic on here, we love pictures!

P1010001.jpg

P1010004.jpg

As requested. When I get round to it I will add descriptions too. Although bit busy at work at present. ;)

Reminds me a bit of the check boxes I built for test meter calibration.
more fun and cheaper than buying them.

Sponsored Links
The incommer looks a wee bit on the small side for all that load :eek:

(Yes I'm kidding :LOL:)

It's 6mm. I'm skint. Have you seen the price of copper these days? You think I'm spending my childrens inheritence on 25mm meter tails!!

(I'm joking too!!!! :D )

Just curious to the cost of building the test board, spoke to my college lecturer who said the resistors required were a couple hundred pounds each (I find him to be unreliable at best) and also anywhere to order parts online - coming to end of year 2 2330 and would like to start testing and this seems a good starting point

If you want to build one then I suggest such as maplin or RS for resistors.
They do not cost hunderds each.

Ref test gear, the multifunction testers usually work out cheaper than seperates to buy and to calibrate so well worth a thought.
The downside being if it gets broken/lost of course.

Megger is probably the most respected in the UK. (Anyone got the MFT 1553 - comments would be nice), Fluke did have problems but might have been resolved by now. Metrel (Alphatek ) & HT Italia are pretty popular.
Of course Robin have been around a long time. seaward & Dilog might be worth a look.

Robin was bought by Fluke a few years ago.

A number of Robin employees left and started, or joined (dunno) Kewtech, hence the similarity between Kewtech models and Robin ones at the time.

not trying to be funny, but you missed the dimmer light circuit that they always put on the test boards..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back