TESTING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone recomend a good easy book i could follow for ins and testing please

Sponsored Links
The iet do about ten quidance books, one is for inspection and testing, dont recall the number off hand

Damn too late :rolleyes: 3

Books are OK but make yourself up a testing board and see how little you've learnt from the books!

Sponsored Links
A good book is BS7671 wiring regulations and Guidance note 3. NICEIC also produce a book on testing and inspection. The problem is I have found is that when testing jobs from the 1940's, I also have to know the 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th edition regulations (as the regs are not retrospective). One day I may be qualified in this trade!

A good book is BS7671 wiring regulations and Guidance note 3. NICEIC also produce a book on testing and inspection. The problem is I have found is that when testing jobs from the 1940's, I also have to know the 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th edition regulations (as the regs are not retrospective). One day I may be qualified in this trade!

Why on earth would you need to know anything but the 16th (or 17th) when testing?

when testing older installations (since the regs are not retrospective). I test lots of old installations for a large LABC and report on their condition.

I realise that but when I make comments on the installation, the engineers (who control the works), need to know whether any action is needed to remedy the circuit or not.

The code you attribute should determine any action.
Not the Edition of the regs that it was installed under, that is irrelevant.

Books are OK but make yourself up a testing board and see how little you've learnt from the books!

Then go and test a 'real' installation to see how little you gain from having a test board with your 'top ten favourite faults' on it. Surely the books give vastly more information than you could ever get fom a test rig. A test rig is okay if you just want to practice using your kit, but

PDC, When you test, you do so against the current regs.

You are responsible for deciding if any remedial work is required and how urgent it is. You do so by marking faults with codes 1 to 4. It's irrelevant if the installation would have passed a test to 12th edition regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back