TESTING

PDC, When you test, you do so against the current regs.

You are responsible for deciding if any remedial work is required and how urgent it is. You do so by marking faults with codes 1 to 4. It's irrelevant if the installation would have passed a test to 12th edition regs.

I do test against the current regs, but the regs are not retrospective, so if something was installed to the 12th edition and has not been touched since then there is no requirement for remedial works. The fault codes you mention are NICEIC, which is not required by our system. I report on anything that I find and the engineers decide whether remedial actyion is required. The only faults that I rectify immediately are where there is a danger to life or imminent fire. Even then, I dont repair the fault, only make it safe.

Sponsored Links
The codes are BS7671.
In a PIR you I,T&C to the current edition of the regs i.e. BS7671:2001 amd 2 or BS7671:2008. It doesn't matter that it may have been installed to a previous edition, the PIR is still to the current regs.

We dont use the codes, we just report on what we find and the engineers make the decisions. I will look up the codes in BS7671. Its a while since I had a good bedtime book to read. Just done the 17th and to me there aint much changed.

Sponsored Links
OK so you don`t code them the engineers do that (or make such decisios as).

I still don`t see why you should want to know the regs edition number at time of install. It is irrelevant.

Putting the 17th aside for now.
Do you use the Current (16th Edition) or some other method as being likely to achieve compliance with statutory regs

At present we use 16th edition until June 2008 with additional tests and some additional requirements laid down by the engineers which surpass BS7671.

So you do the I & T but don`t code the defects leaving that to the engineers to code or not and also for them to decide on any action required.

As the "Man on the ground" your coding would probably be the best guide for the engineers to follow.

IMHO You are not doing a PIR to BS7671 in the true sense but something like it (your way might actually be better than that who knows!).

I still fail to see why you would want to know what Edition No applied at the time of install though. Age of the installation perhaps but actual Reg Edition then no it is not relevant

the edition is sometimes need when testing something like PILC cable or imperial sized MICC or VIR as these are not covered in the 16th. There were some changes to the current carrying capacities of these around the 60's (13th or 14th I think). Also if something was installed to the 14th (or any other edition) and does not comply with the 16th, this does not in itself mean that remedial works are required.

and that is why you might use a code 4.
It either complies with current regs or it does not.
If it does not then how serious is this non compliance - hence coding .
If it did or did not comply with an earlier edition is not relevant at all

So how do you test something like 7/036 PVC cable to the current regs?

If every installation has to comply with the latest regs does that mean virtually every school, hospital, police station, house, swimming pool in the country now needs to be rewired to comply?

So how do you test something like 7/036 PVC cable to the current regs?

If every installation has to comply with the latest regs does that mean virtually every school, hospital, police station, house, swimming pool in the country now needs to be rewired to comply?

No, Code 4 may come into play for certain cases which state that although the installation may not comply with current regulations it's not unsafe as a result. For example, switch wires incorrectly identified.

So when the 17th comes into full effect does every bathroom light now need to be on an RCD? even if it was installed to the 16th edition and no alterations or additions have been made?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back