Tests associated with new C-U install

I would agree in the majority of cases DIY would will not be dangerous.
Quite so - that's why I (and others) were questioning your "In the main DIY = Illegal and dangerous."
However even professional work can be dangerous if it's not tested not because what the electrician has done but what other trades have done. ... It has just been reported on how a foreman has be found guilty over the death of a lady when he failed to ensure tests were done correctly. It was not the workmanship but the tests which caused the problem.
True, but has been discussed, that was very much a freak, albeit tragic, incident which resulted from the co-incidental coming together of many factors. Just a very slight difference in chance factors would have meant that even adequate testing would not have detected the potentially lethal fault.

In the context of our present discussion, it's also of note that this (very rare) prosecution was brought under the Health and Safety at Work Act (which I imagine does not apply to DIYers working in their own homes), not the Building Regulations ('Part P').
But I am sure if you did a risk assessment using how many DIY jobs go wrong then the risk is quite low.
Indeed, and the risk might not be any higher than when 'electricians' undertake the work. Numerically speaking, given that far more electrical work is undertaken by electricians (or 'electricians') than DIYers, I would imagine that the number of cases of electrical works 'going seriously wrong' would be apprecaibly greater than when work was undertaken by tradesmen than by DIYers.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back