Texecom false hold off indication?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have a texecom premier elite 24 with the Odyssey 5e external sounder, installed about 3 years ago.
I've just noticed yesterday that the LED indicators on the sounder are no longer alternating left and right, it's now only got the left LED flashing slowly as if the hold off is active - but I've not done any work recently and certainly haven't flashed the strobe 3 times.
Looking on Wintex, I don't see any issues - but I'm no expert.

Anyone got any experience of maybe a failed LED in the external sounder?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Will have a go tomorrow or Friday and get back to you, thanks.

Bell and strobe test worked fine, but looks like it's still just the left LED pulsing slowly, I'll check for sure when it goes dark later.
Everything else seems to be fine and it's my own alarm - I can live with a faulty right LED, if that's what it's likely to be?

Any thoughts

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Firing the bell should take it out of hold off.

As for LEDs I can never remember all the different states, also have to ask my self is it my right or the bells right.

maybe take and post a short video of it after dark.

From the manual, LED status attached, cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221021-173912.png
    Screenshot_20221021-173912.png
    310.7 KB · Views: 78
Not the best of quality, but should do, cheers. Couldn't get it to upload due diynot accepted file formats, hopefully this link will work.
Thanks

is the bell tamper open.

clearly only 1 led is flashing (not fast flashing), which suggests its in hold off mode and tamper open.

Remove the negative in the panel and see if it rings …..if that works then …..remove bell tamper return wire in panel and touch it on the bell ring terminal ….if it rings then I would say the led on the right has blown ….as they are on a fly lead it may have got some water in it and rotted away …

Last edited:
Thanks all, will try and get round to it over the weekend.
Cheers

rotted away? Never seen one. so would like to see picture f it has for reference,

so it's our right rather than bell right when referring to right LED , always gets me when your determining which LED is which.

Apologies for the delay - managed to dislocate my thumb a few weeks ago :(

Anyhow, I've done as suggested and here's the findings:
Negative wire in panel removed - no ringing.
Tamper return touched on bell ring - it rings.
Bell cover removed without hold off - it rings.
Alarm triggered - it rings.
Hold off activated, bell cover removed - rusty/rotted wire on right hand LED found. One of the wires had already fell off and as soon as I touched the LED the second wire fell off.
Left hand LED looking corroded, so chose not to touch it.

Thanks for the help all, at least I now know the cause and we all know these LEDs can rot off - literally!

There were no signs of water entering the bell box and no rust anywhere else in there, we live in the hills and the box is located fairly close under the eaves/gutter (over sized gutter) which makes a nice shelter and protects from downpours, so I'm going to guess it just moisture in the air that caused it. Though there is a chance of a one-off watering session when some builders hosed the wall during a pointing job a few years ago.

Now to see if Texecom will provide spares, as i can't see them online - and will use a little Vaseline at the base of the LEDs for future protection.

Cheers

Any condensation will find it’s way to the bottom of the bellbox hence most bellboxes with the leds on fly leads do have a tendency to rot off …

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back