texecom speech and text dialler - no dial tone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the telephone socket is fully operational. I can make and receive calls using a phone.

my dialled is complaining about a dial tone.

Is it because I've only connected two of the 4 wires for the telephone cable? Black and Yellow.

Sponsored Links
No ....probably wrong wires , or bad connection check with multimeter for 50v dc

on the supplied cable it was the outer cables if I remember correctly not done one in ages.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, I don't have a multimeter. I revisited this today. To my surprise, the regular phone was no longer working at this extension socket. At which point I thought that the "no dial tone" message made sense since the phone inst working either. Although it was working a when the extension point was first installed. I then re-punched the cables at the previous extension and my phone started to work again. I tested this thoroughly and then plugged in the alarm again. The alarm reported the same no dial tone" message again. I re-plugged the phone and it no longer works!

Does this make any sense guys? Also, do I need a microfilter for the speech dialler by any chance?

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on my mystery above? Thanks again.

Is the speech dialer still plugged in when the phone no longer works ( two sockets in use ) ?

Which of these two options have you used ?

texecom to phone.jpg

Pins 2 and 5 in the plug, The dialler may be polarity sensitive ( Tip and Ring ) and may not recognise there is a phone line connected if Tip is connected to pin 2 and Ring is connected to pin 5

Last edited:
I am using the first option. I unplugged this to try my phone. As described above, I had my phone working perfectly fine. I then unplugged the phone to plug in the cable to for the dialler. The dialler reports a dial tone error. I then unplug the dialler and plug in the phone again. The phone no longer works. It's the second time this has happened and it's not making any sense to me.

Assuming all connections are good then the theoretical answer is that the dialler is doing something hazardous to the phone line that causes the telephone exchange to park the telephone line. A telephone exchange can park a phone line by disconnecting it at the exchange. This is to protect the exchange from damage by voltages other than those supplied by the exchange. Depending on the exchange a parked line will probably be un-parked some time after the abnormal voltage is removed from the line.

Umm...should I be using option two on your diagram as I am wiring from one extension point to another? I have a master socket at the start of this chain and I am then serially hoping to one extension point, then another and so on. As it happens, this is the last in the chain of extensions and I have approximately 4 in total.

Also, the rest of my telephone line (extension points) are unaffected by this. Does the line parking still make sense?

Option 2 allows the dialler to take full control of the phone line when it need to make a call. If you want that then option 2 is necessary but option 1 will work.

When the dialler is not needing to make a call T is connected to T1 and R is connected to R1 by a relay in the dialler. This means the phone line is connected to all the sockets. If the dialler needs to make a call when a phone is in use the dialler cannot make the call. Hence the dialler will break the connection T-T1 and R-R1 so the phone line is cut off from the phones in the house and the call ends. Then dialler will then try to make it's phone call, ( it should wait 20 seconds to ensure an incoming call was cleared down )

Also, the rest of my telephone line (extension points) are unaffected by this. Does the line parking still make sense?
If other phones in other sockets work then the line is NOT parked.

If one of the other phones in other sockets are in use then the dialler will not see a free line with dial tone

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation @bernardgreen.
Is line suspension still plausible given the fact that other extension points appear to be unaffected?

Is line suspension still plausible given the fact that other extension points appear to be unaffected?

Of the other sockets can be used to make calls then the line is not parked ( or suspended ). It is extremely unlikely that the dialler if correctly connected could do anything to cause the line to be parked.

let me revisit the connections for R and T and make sure they are "clean". Will update shortly. Thanks for your support with this.

Update - I re-punched the connections in the preceding telephone extension socket. This restored service at the extension point by the alarm. I initially tested with the phone and then the dialler. It works.
I have concluded that the problem lies at the extension socket before this particular one. I think the cables are moving when I screw the plate to the wall. I will investigate further.

Thanks for your help guys,. Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back