Texture ceiling options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

The "Boss" would like the texture ceiling in our living room removed - and for once I agree with her.

It appears to be a textured paper stuck onto plasterboard.

I have done some investigating, and it appears that the ceiling has already been boarded over twice - on top of a lathe and plaster ceiling. Therefore re-boarding is not an option unless the whole lot comes down and we start again. As you can imagine, I am very keen to avoid this.

The ceiling actually seems in fairly good condition when I peel off a small area of paper (see pic).

I am therefore considering what options are available.

I think peeling the paper off is essential (unless someone has a plan where I don't need to), however after that what options are available to me? Is getting a plaster skim on it the only option (there is already coving around the ceiling which is in good nick - would this need to be removed for skimming?). I did think about something like the polycell paint to get a strong undercoat and then just paint it. Too much of a bodge?

Any input appreciated. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Copy of DSC_0076.JPG
    Copy of DSC_0076.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 117
Sponsored Links
that stuff looks like it might be a blown vinyl, in which case it should be easy-peel (starting at a corner) and leave a thin lining paper behind, which if necessary you can wet with a garden sprayer and scrape off.

These thick textured coatings are likely to have been used to conceal a bad ceiling though. You will have to assess what appears.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I have started peeling more off, and I wouldn't describe it as easy peel. Lots of work with a scraper and water spray.

Underneath seems to be solid platerboard - although its very smooth (if that makes sense) - almost shiny.

I have not found any joints yet under the paper, so am now wondering if its actually a plastered ceiling which has been papered.

Will keep scraping until I have something more to show, and then would be really glad of further comment.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Its blown vinyl, dry strip it, wet the back with hot soapy water and it will fly off after it has soaked for 5 minutes or so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back