Thames Water no notice given for installer WiFi meter!

But in real life a burglar would knock on the door and ask if you want UPVC windows.

Sponsored Links
Why worry about smart meters, I have them for gas and electric now I don't get the meter reader calling just as I have got into the bath and then having to clear all the toot out from under the stairs for him/her at a moments notice!
Can't give a stuff who knows how much power I use, or how often I wash my socks, I would welcome a smart water meter to stop the reader tramping over the flower beds. (we put some stepping stones in to help him but it seems he has to avoid them health and safety I guess!) agree it's darn inconvenient when they do works but it's not a regular thing.(y)

The meter is an Automatic Meter Reading (AMR) meter and is not a Smart Meter.Have been asking my water supply company for one for a while,our flats have the water meters are in an inground pavement box with a screwed down lid.
The water supply company prohibits opening the lid and if a reading is required,we have to phone them and they come out straight away.

southern water info.jpg
Water_6_way_manifold (2).JPG

Sponsored Links
Yes but most meters are close to the house they are supplying. So scan and identify the meters in the street, link them to the nearest house and then if they can be read from a distance the security of the properties has been further reduced by the use of "technology" without due consideration of the risks involved.
I've been told I'm paranoid so it must be true lol
But the meters all line up with each house here so you can tell which one is for each property.
I was told they will be wireless so I know in my experience they will be hacked eventually. But the big risk is the bulk data once it's on their system, spotty teen from his or her bedroom hack is most likely.

If anyone remember TalkTalk ISP, they had a huge data theft and lied through their teeth about the numbers.
They confirmed my details had not been stolen. But 2 or so months later I had the proof they were telling porkies.
Equifax had a huge data theft very recently in US, CA and UK, now data is their business as well as TalkTalk. Some data was even un-encrypted!
It's one thing losing generic info, but it starts to get very specific E.g. like over 3 years of data showing work and home in out trends, usual holidays away for 2 weeks etc etc.
That info will be worth a lot on the dark web. Sadly it will happen, when not if.
Sending a reading every 24 hours is just way too much detail IMO.

The meter is an Automatic Meter Reading (AMR) meter and is not a Smart Meter.Have been asking my water supply company for one for a while,our flats have the water meters are in an inground pavement box with a screwed down lid.
The water supply company prohibits opening the lid and if a reading is required,we have to phone them and they come out straight away.

View attachment 129928 View attachment 129929
Well I guess it depends how you define smart, but Thames Water is calling them smart!
Customers here can open the lids and read the standard meters, the new boxes going in now look the same, so looks like they can be opened by customers.
But just found this from last year, it says it sends an hourly reading, not a reading every 24 hours which I've been told. So that's even worse if that data ever gets lost it will be very easy to work out when someone is away from home!
https://www.thameswater.co.uk/my-account/water-meters/more-information/what-is-a-smart-meter

After speaking to Thames Water again today, I've been told something different about when they get turned on etc, so now I don't know if these things will be sending data now or in a years time, or if readings will be sent every hour or 24 hours.
It's only a matter of time before water companies install poo meters lol

Reverse the problem Jaba, if you're worried about your data getting hacked, and people breaking in when they work out if you're away from home, then fit a burglar alarm.

Yes, you're paranoid, and your life will be a lot calmer when you learn not to be. And you need to understand the things that need worrying about, and the things that don't - this being one of them.

I've been told I'm paranoid so it must be true lol
Think you been living in London to long,consider a move to the country move in with BlowHard. his pharmacy next door will be handy for the drugs you will need or share blowhards.

After speaking to Thames Water again today,
They are just reading company information off a screen,they have no in depth knowledge and if they had they cant tell you :!:

https://www.affinitywater.co.uk/docs/AMR-meters.pdf

But just found this from last year, it says it sends an hourly reading, not a reading every 24 hours which I've been told. So that's even worse if that data ever gets lost it will be very easy to work out when someone is away from home!

Unless common house burglars have suddenly got a lot more brains than they used to have, it would seem that their talents would be better employed in some other type of hacking crime other than hacking a water meter and interpretating data to find the best time to kick your rear door in to nick your stuff!

I was in for most of the day yesterday. I didn’t have a bath, shower, cup of tea or a **** so no water was used. On the other hand, when we do go out we often put the washing machine or dishwasher on. Does that mean we are more likely to be burgled when we are at home?

or if readings will be sent every hour or 24 hours.

How long will the batteries last ? Who will change them, Or will there be a micro flow turbine and generator ?

I would imagine the meters are dormant until they receive a wake up command from the meter reading system as it moves along the road.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back