THAMES WATER RESTROSPECTIVE BUILD OVER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening

I had a side extension built from Sept 2019 until March 2020, unfortunately the builder did not apply for any build-over. The drains for my 2 neighbours met in my garden and then joined the main sewer in the road outside. The neighbour to my left had their pipe diverted into the first manhole on my drive while the connection from my right was joined via a bend under the door for my annex (as per the sketch attached)
The council did not ask for any proof of build-over and I have yet to get it passed because the insulation for the flat roof needs to be changed.
The drainage for my neighbour's pipe dropped (to my left) and it was repaired by Thames Water after they sued my builder, they did various CCTV surveys and the other connection was said to be fine. Do I still need to submit plans or will a letter from the council suffice for the application?
Builder did not provide any cross section for the application so I would need to get notes from the inspector to compile the plan.
Any advice is appreciated

Regards

Attachments

• DRAIN PLAN.pdf
    359.8 KB · Views: 99
Sponsored Links
If Thames said "it was fine" and repaired the other pipe, then surely that can be interpreted as the build over agreement and re-worded as such?

You really need to engage with Thames and ask them what they require, based on what's gone on.

Do the council require the build-over agreement before they issue a completion certificate? They should not have let the works commence if a build-over agreement was required

Hi Woody, council have not asked for the build-over agreement to pass the extension! I need to do some minor works to get it signed off and think I should get this done first before asking for a copy of my file to proceed with the build over agreement. Hopefully the inspector would have some notes in relation to the depth of the foundation and other measurements for the plan. I appreciate your response. Regards

Hi Woody, council have not asked for the build-over agreement to pass the extension! I need to do some minor works to get it signed off and think I should get this done first before asking for a copy of my file to proceed with the build over agreement. Hopefully the inspector would have some notes in relation to the depth of the foundation and other measurements for the plan. I appreciate your response. Regards
TBH, if the council have registered the application without mentioning build over, inspected the trench, foundation and presumably drains without mentioning it, then I suspect that they won't mention it later. If they do, I'd be complaining and asking them for some costs

This should not have gone ahead or even been registered if a build-over was required, so it puts them in a very bad light.

I'd be inclined to just have the final inspection and see what happens, if all's well then just get the completion certificate and leave it at that unless Thames are chasing you.

Sponsored Links
This should not have gone ahead or even been registered if a build-over was required, so it puts them in a very bad light

Every time I submitted a building regs application, for a private inspector as part of the application I had to state whether any public drains were being built over / within 3 metres.

I can’t believe a council inspector wouldn’t pick up a lack of a build over agreement - Ive always found them really hot on any drain work.

Every time I submitted a building regs application, for a private inspector as part of the application I had to state whether any public drains were being built over / within 3 metres.

I can’t believe a council inspector wouldn’t pick up a lack of a build over agreement - Ive always found them really hot on any drain work.
My understanding is that it's enshrined in law from when the water companies took over the private drainage network in 2011, that applications can't be registered if a build over is required

Hi Woody, thanks for the responses, Thames Water are not chasing me now as they have done the CCTV survey. I just want to get a retrospective agreement as I think it may hinder the sale of my house if I decide to downsize in retirement. Like you say, I will get it signed off first and then do this after. Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back