Thanks for the advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to thank contributors for their advice in response to my questions over the last couple weeks:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14943
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13473&highlight=
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14318&highlight=
The advice was most useful.

I have just finished installing my new split load cu.
I pulled the service fuse ( surprised at size and accessibilty of exposd live parts) in order to install an isolator, then proceeded to install the cu.
I tested the circuits myself, now I'm just waiting for the spark to call to test the system officially and check my work.

I was going to post before and after photos, but I cant figure out how to!

Sponsored Links
The admin team are usualy busy, might be quicker to join web bucket, as i understand it takes less than 5 mins

Sponsored Links
Before:
electrics3.JPG

After:
electrics2.JPG

(Not brilliant quality photos)

edited to show pictures

Nice work!

Bad job on the REC's tail's as usual. :evil:

What is that second meter on the left doing?

And what's that on the earthing cable between the isolator and the cutout?

Also any chance of a picture of inside of your new consumer unit?

http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk/ seems to be a good image host.

ban-all-sheds said:
ACDC said:
I pulled the service fuse ( surprised at size and accessibilty of exposd live parts)
Let's hope that future DIYers encounter this warning...

older plugs with no sleeves on the pins had exposed live parts when being pulled

same for the fuse carriers in wylex standard boards

lampholders had (i think some modern ones have contact systems to prevent it) have exposed live parts when the bulb is out

how is pulling a big 100A fuse any worse? (size of the overcurrent protection makes no real difference to electric shock protection since there is no way the human body will draw enough current to take out even a 5A fuse/breaker)

I did very simple diy testing to check:-
1. that there was no current between the earth & live on each circuit,
2. with all light switches turned off and appliances unplugged, there was no current between the live & neutral,
3. with the power on, double checked the polarity, and
4. checked that there was a circuit between different earthed points such as the earth contact of power sockets and light switch screws.

I accept that I am a diy-er and that is why I am paying a spark to check my work and carry out more formal testing.
The cu is in a let property I own so official testing of the electrics is something I need to get done anyway along with the Landlords Gas Safety Certificate.

The second meter on the left is a radio-teleswitch for off-peak.

The object on the earth cable is a metal tag saying 'this is the earth- do not remove'.

ACDC said:
I did very simple diy testing to check:-
1. that there was no current between the earth & live on each circuit,
2. with all light switches turned off and appliances unplugged, there was no current between the live & neutral,
I'm curious to know what instrument you used, and where, to see if there was current flowing between earth & live or live & neutral..

4. checked that there was a circuit between different earthed points such as the earth contact of power sockets and light switch screws.
Did you use a low-resistance ohmmeter?

I used a simple circuit tester.
I assume the spark will use something more sophisicated like a multimeter when he checks it tomorrow.

Well - I'm sure it's all OK, but if you used something compared to which a multimeter seems "sophisticated" then whatever it was, and whatever you did, it was a waste of your time, for it wouldn't have found any faults.

The test equipment that the electrician will use is to a multimeter what an F1 car is to an ox-cart.

electricians test equipment is not in any way general perpose

a good multimeter will almost certainky do quite a few things that electricians test gear won't

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back