That got me scratching my head

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we've just bought a caravan!
Doing some work on the TV aerial system and I've removed what is described as a 12V auxiliary socket (to be replaced by a SFO to supply the aerial amplifier).
Well the 12V socket is actually a 230V 5A round pin socket!! Fine to use at 12V but it could be interesting if somebody came across one that actually was energised at 230V and plugged a 12V device into it!! (the other sockets are all standard 230V 13A)

Sponsored Links
What's the rating for the supply to the socket? I assume it's a DC supply which is going to drastically reduce the rating of the socket!

Not that un-common to use 5 amp sockets for ELV in caravans. The excuse is that it is "safe" as houses no longer have 5 amp sockets. ( from the person who fitted out a caravan as a mobile control room ).

One option for 12 service in a caravan is to use Neutrik Speakon type connectors. Designed for loudspeaker connections they are rated at 230 volt and 30 amp. They twist and lock in place and being four pole can have a control to a relay so the socket does not have power connected ( other than the relay coil ) until the plug is inserted.

Sponsored Links
There are of course sockets designed for caravans.
c2ag_171x120_3_94037571.jpg
also the coaxial sockets both for cigarette lighters and the smaller one done by Hella
41%2BhHMwwsxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
but even with these there is no difference between 12v and 24v. I have seen what happens when some one thinks there is a dropper fitted and they will get 12v but in fact get 24v.

It seems odd that 12v MUST be written on the socket but not the plug. 721.55.2.2

Not that un-common to use 5 amp sockets for ELV in caravans. The excuse is that it is "safe" as houses no longer have 5 amp sockets. ( from the person who fitted out a caravan as a mobile control room ).

One option for 12 service in a caravan is to use Neutrik Speakon type connectors. Designed for loudspeaker connections they are rated at 230 volt and 30 amp. They twist and lock in place and being four pole can have a control to a relay so the socket does not have power connected ( other than the relay coil ) until the plug is inserted.

Neutrik XLRs are often also used for ELV connections, I've seen battery chargers for mobility scooters that shove ~2A at 12V through one.

I dont remember seeing 5A sockets before, but quite a number of caravans use 3-pin 2A for 12 volt, the 3-pin version to ensure proper polarity, the earth pin is generally left unconnected.

As for those flat slightly-angled pin plugs & sockets as pictured above, most of them I've ever come across are terrible quality.

It could also be damaging to plug something rated at 230v AC into a 12v DC supply, resistive products won't matter but something inductive (like a transformer) might get a bit upset!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back