That old black magic cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved to a 1930s house recently which had an alarming array of old rubber sheathed cable lurking under every floorboard and hiding behind the architraving around many of the doors, much of it in a very dangerous state. I spent many happy hours ripping up floorboards, tracing and breaking into old conduits up walls and generally making myself very unpopular with my wife. Most of the older cable was redundant; evidence of old and now forgotten steam driven fridges and other museum pieces, disconnected at the fusebox but left in situ.

I have been progressively replacing this old stuff where necessary, and am also renewing ancient sockets and switches. I have a very satisfying pile of black spaghetti outside my back door - and its growing. So far so good - I believe I have not awakened the Part P Monster.

However, there was no ring main(s), and my wiring diagrams of the existing lighting circuits look like the finale of a fireworks display. I have part rewired properties previously, and have confidently started to rationalize the circuits. I am now the proud owner of my first complete ring main (in the kitchen).

My problem? ....I discovered this site! After reading several previous posts, I believe I may have awakened the Part P Monster with my improvements. In all seriousness, I think I am okay to continue the like-for-like replacements, but not sure about the improvements. I assume I will need some form of testing and inspection certification issued by a Part P Registered Nice Person?

Sponsored Links
youll need to notify LABC before you do the work, then they will inspect and issue certificates upon completion

iirc as long as you keep out of thier way for 6 months they can't do you for procedural violations of the building regs like failing to notify.

you've probablly already broken part P by the work you have started to do (much as people like to mention like for like including some goverment agencies its NOT a concept that the law itself recognises) and trying to legitimise things now will probablly be more trouble than its worth. In years to come when you get round to selling your house noone is likely to care much if the work was done in 2004 or 2005 they will just tick the box on the periodic inspection form that says previous records not availible and get on with checking everything out.

just keep going, make your wiring safe and modern and you are very unlikely to get any bother at all.

You may find it hard to get someone to take on your monster as most electricians (including myself) don't like certifying others work

There is a reason- when I sign on the dotted line to certify something I have to be 100% certain, it's my familys livelihood on the line.

To give you an example-
last year I got a call from a customer asking if I could sign his building warrant for his loft conversion.

(I live in Scotland and Electrical work for structural alterations has been under building control for years - No part P here)

My first question was 'who did your electrics ?'
'me' he said
Knowing it wasn't done by a competent person I told him for me to sign a building warrant would probably take nearly a full day as I would have to do a full inspect and test on his work and take the installation apart.

I told him if called me first I would have given him a complete price which would include certification.

My mate got a call from the same chap (we were chatting in the wholesalers) and he told him £200 minimun as a starting price
A bit dear for a light and 2 double sockets.

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
iirc as long as you keep out of thier way for 6 months they can't do you for procedural violations of the building regs like failing to notify.

care to explain more? (first ive heard of it)

AFAIK it's just a general thing to do with the seriousness of the offence - i.e. magistrates court, can't be be banged up etc - i.e. not a Building Regulations or Building Act provision, but a criminal justice one..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back