The basin's too big!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a sink from victoriaplum that it said was 600mm wide on the specs.

Perfect I thought - exactly the size I need!

Got it today and it turns out the basin is actually 620mm wide - which means it doesn't quite fit right and overhangs the door architrave more than I would like.

What would you suggest is the best solution here? (see pics). Potential options as I see them are:

1. Send it back and get a smaller one (problem is plumber is coming on Saturday to plumb it in and haven't found another unit that I like at the right size/price yet)

2. Drill/grind a channel out of the freshly laid tiles that the left side of the basin could sit in. (problem is don't really want to ruin the new tiling and might not work well - potential for disaster.

3. take those 2 tiles off the wall (to the left of the basin) and replace with tiles that have had a channel cut on the tile saw that the basin could sit in (same disadvantage as above)

4. Cut 15mm off of the left side of the sink and butt it up to the tiles - as with 2. above, advantage that it would mean the unit itself could go flush to the wall as there would be no overhang on the basin on that side. Disadvantages: Is it even possible to cut the edge of the basin like that and get a good edge with a tile saw (same thing used to cut the travertine - the top is relatively flat and about the same thickness...

5. Get a deeper architrave and chase the sink in on that right side (planning on getting a thicker architrave on the door anyway as currently the 12mm travertine is basically flush with it and looks a bit odd...

6. Stop being so fussy. Stick it in its fine.

Attachments

• IMG_4485.jpg
    IMG_4485.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_4484.jpg
    IMG_4484.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_4483.jpg
    IMG_4483.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 304
Sponsored Links
Call them to replace with one that is 600mm as specified. They will require proof but a generally very good with returns/replacements.

Sponsored Links
Option 1, and put the plumber off till you're ready. Don't stress yourself.

How thick are the tiles to the left of the picture?
Could you remove the bulk of the tile on the wall and trim the one nearer the top to gain some space?
Hard to see what's at the bottom of the tiles- looks like there is space?

Or remove all the architrave and replace with something else once it is in, sourcing a smaller profile or cutting that side to refit later

Send it back and get one the right size. Tell the plumber to wait. If he wont wait get another plumber.

To do it any other way will look bloody awful.

dont change anything. thats the wrong top for that cabinet, send it back for a 600 swap or money back.
why not buy a simple white 600 base unit and a vanity top.get both for less than £100? youve got to buy the waste and overflow and mixer tap seperetly anyway.

The base is 600, the sink overhangs ,but clearly the web page gives the wrong info.

Looking at website picture you've been supplied the wrong sink, the overhang on the website is negligible..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back