Tiling above basin - Big gap!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evenin all...

Another Netto problem - I've just finished fitting out my sparkling new en-suite, but have notice a small problem with the corner basin I have just fitted...

It sits in the corner nicely, until I put the tap in... :rolleyes: To get the taps in nicely, and free of the two wall corners, I need to pull the basin forward off of the wall slightly. This leaves a 20mm gap between the basin edge and the walls.

As I want to tile behind the basin to tidy things up and also prevent water splashes penetrating the plaster, how am I going to get this to work!? I figure your average tile depth (including grout) is about 5-8 mm max?! Well, this leave a big gap for stuffing lots of silicone in!

Thoughts!?

Cheers! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
I can't get my head round this - any chance of a photo?

Will try and upload one tomorrow chap...thanks...

will try to explain again though - The corner basin fits snugly into the corner, and has a single tap hole (deisgned for those single spout tap things) in the rear corner.

When I put the tap in, however, the handles for hot/cold come into contact with the walls, so I have to pull the basin forward, off the wall.

Whilst tiles will take up some of the gap, there would still be a big silicone fill required...

I can't really get another tap to fit this position, as this tap is the smallest available, and (believe it or not) specifically designed for a corner unit.

:)

Sponsored Links
Faced with this tricky one, I think I'd place the bottom row of tiles at a slope.

Clearly you'd need to fabricate something to tile onto, which could be pretty simple, such as plywood with a spacer at the bottom to bring it away from the wall. For example, 12mm plywood with a 5mm spacer, or (a bit harder this one) 18mm plywood planed down to form a wedge.

Er, yes. That would be a simpler way of doing it.

Excuse me while I go away and make something useless out of an old washing up liquid bottle and some sticky-backed plastic. :oops:

Why bodge something that clearly isn't right? :confused: The way I see it is that you either need another type of tap or change the sink. I'd still like to see a photo though.

gcol said:
Why bodge something that clearly isn't right? :confused: The way I see it is that you either need another type of tap or change the sink. I'd still like to see a photo though.

Think I'm going to go for a single lever tap, the ones where the lever is in the top of the tap...that would solve the issue... Don't like their design, but don't have much choice! And I don't like bodging things if I don't have to... :(

[/img]

Softus said:
Netto said:
I can't really get another tap to fit this position...
Netto said:
Think I'm going to go for a single lever tap...
I think gcol is right, but what's the above all abaaaht?

the store i got the basin from said that the tap I hap was the most compact - so I did a 30 second search on t'interweb last night and found one in a diferent style - same size yes, but different mechanism, therefore better suited to the basin/position...

;)

Netto said:
It sits in the corner nicely, until I put the tap in... :rolleyes: To get the taps in nicely, and free of the two wall corners, I need to pull the basin forward off of the wall slightly. This leaves a 20mm gap between the basin edge and the walls.

Netto, like gcol, I may not have understood you properly but if you try to tile behind the tap - aren't you going to lose some of the space you created by pulling the basin forward? So, instead of the tap banging on the wall, it will now bang against the tile. One thing you could try is granite/marble strips. So you would have a strip laid horizontally behind the basin - to fill the gap, which would need to be deeper to allow for an upstand in the same material. Really, though, it sounds like a design fault in the taps.

Netto, whenever/wherever you saw the basin before buying one, did it have taps on it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back