the Bathroom of Doom !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so we bought 15 year old house that had a new bathroom suite in .Great or so we thought !!

The floor looked great when we moved in after 2 Weeks the tiles have come loose and the grout is cracked .After pulling a few up its been tiled straight on to a dusty chipboard floor !!

My plan is to pull all the tiles up and hoover the floor then 12mm exterior ply it screw down and then tile on top . any adhesive you recommend to use ?

The tiles are coming up very easy is there away to clean off the cement on them ? so i can reuse them ??

Also i plan on tiling the front of the bath with cement backer board and making a little access hatch is this the best way to do it ?

Regards Matthew

Sponsored Links
If you can it is better to rip out the chipboard and replace with WPB ply - mimium 18mm but may need to be thicker depending on joists etc. If you are going to overboard I don't think 12mm is thick enough. You need to prime the edges and underside fo the ply as well - not the tiling surface

In terms of adhesive a trade brand powered cement based adhesive is the way to go. Needs to be flexible though as the substrate is wood. BAL is usually recommended by most. It isn't cheap but it saves you having to re-tile agin in 3 months! Buy it off the internet and not in Topps tiles as it is much cheaper.

Richard C will be able to answer better than me but I think backerboards are better if you want to minimise the amount of additional height in the floor as you can use a thinner board than ply. I think you have to fix them to the floor with tile adhesive though and using a decent flexible adhesive it is going to up the cost a bit.

I did my bathroom recently and overboarded 22mm t&g floor boards with 15mm ply. I had quite big joists with minimal length though. Its been done a year and I have had no cracking or movement.

Do you know what the size / pitch / span your joists are?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back