The coat-rack nightmare of 2014

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post here.

Before I begin, it is important to note I have VERY little DIY/experience.

We have been having a nightmare with a coat rack that has recently fallen down. I have tried the following:

1: Screws into plastic rawlplugs (basic) x 3
2: Screws into metal rawlplugs (as seen here:
$T2eC16J,!)QE9s3HEEZrBRMQsKRR2g~~60_12.JPG
) I am using the correct drill bit but please see access problem below

Both times the hanger (with 3 fixings) has come down due to weight (not excessive)

- Some factors about the house (and the real problems). It is a traditional Bristol terrace house built around the turn of the century.
- The wall material is unclear: whilst drilling a dirty dark grey dust comes out and the hole generally expands wider than the drill bit.
- Most importantly, due to a stairway that heads to the attic, I am unable to fit our drill at a straight angle as there is not enough space.. This has caused real problems. The stair way is angled like this:

The red arrow is where I wish to place the hanger but I can only get the drill in at an angle due to the location of the stairs.

This is causing great frustration. Does any have any suggestions regarding the following:

1: Am I using the correct fitting?
2: How can I make a better angled hole?
3: What is the material?
4: General tips for making the hanger work!

Many, many thanks. I am at my wit's end!

Sponsored Links
Assuming that you mean the start of the 20th century ;), the walls are more likely than not to be of plaster and lath construction. As such they will be old and friable and although I don't like to disagree with foxhole (sorry :oops: ), I'd be worried about gluing it in place.

Ideally, you need to find where the vertical studs are and then screw into these, possibly using a longer piece of timber screwed into two adjacent ones and then screwing your coathooks into this.

You might get away with screwing into the timber laths, but this is somewhat hit and miss and you wouldn't really want to hanve anything too heavy on the hooks afterwards.

By all means disagree , this is a forum after all, think it unlikely to be lathe given he has to drill it and getting dark dust which is loose more likely a clinker built wall.He would not get plasterboard plugs as shown into lathe it would punch a big hole and bounce back when it hit timber.Also given it's at base of stair head ,may be a supporting wall. [But I could be wrong]

Sponsored Links
Fair point about the bounce back if hitting a lath if indeed he did hie a lath and not the gap between. Also fair point about the colour of the dust - I wasn't aware that they used clinker in Victorian/Edwardian buildings and am happy to be educated on the matter.

Clinker not used at build but has been plenty of time for additions and alteration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back