The demise of the Mondeo

Sponsored Links
What I have never worked out was motor bikes, OK I had a Honda moped P50 which was claimed to do 254 MPG at 16 MPH on a level paved road, so there have been good ones, and the Lambretta scooters claimed at one point all models did over 100 MPG, even the Bonneville did 60 MPH, but today it seems they all are rather poor, when you consider the weight we should be looking at over 100 MPG for all motor cycles.

My 2L 2 ton car always did better mpg than my Honda 4 pot bike.

Well, there it is. The last Mondeo will be built in Valencia in 2022. I feel rather sad about this, which is unusual because i don't think I have ever driven one. It was however on my preferred list of cars to buy whenever I needed to change (Vectra being the other ) but fate decreed that over 25 years, whenever I needed a car, there was never a (petrol) Mondeo in the vicinity.

How do the rest of you feel?
I have a 2004 2-litre petrol, had it new as a company car and bought it at 3 years old. Now done 215000 miles and drives fine, been pretty reliable, still original exhaust, which isn't bad, I used to change Cortina exhausts every 18 months. So a little sad, but there you go.
I never drove the current model, but it looks different, so though Ford kept the name it wasn't the same car, AFAIK. Reminds me of when the Anglia name was was dropped in late 1960s, and there was a lot about it on the news, end of an era, etc, etc. But that was a bit silly, as the name Anglia covered various models, starting with the old sit-up-and-beg job, side valve and transverse leaf springs. Quite different from the latest with backward-sloping rear window.

Sponsored Links
We purchased a 86K mile Mondeo in 2010. It was a 2.0L Gia X auto built in Jan '06 & despite the urban myth that the gearbox is on borrowed time after 80K ours was still functioning correctly when we sold the car at 170K.
It was a comfortable car, considering the 17'' wheels & 50% aspect tyres though not up to the the ride standard of the (8 years older) BMW 5 series replacement. From a reliability point of view it was average for a modern car, with no major component failures, though it did break 2 coil springs during our ownership period & the inlet manifold had to be replaced due to wear in the swirl flaps.
nb. as others have commented the exhaust was still the original, amazing for a 13 yr. old run-of-the-mill car.

'Ere indoors really misses it, but compared to the BM ...

Last edited:
Ford must have, our '06 (see post #18) was a chain job.

Could never understand why they use rubber bands on so many engines, when a chain is lower maintenance and unlikely to wreck the engine. Having what is essentially a glorified fan belt as the only thing between an engine living or dying in a spectacularly destructive way is madness. But I suppose it's more to do with pleasing manufacturers and their service depts rather than the punters.

30 years ago I had a Montego. I knew nothing about belts then as I suspect they were recently new innovations for timing - though I could be wrong. Poss just assumed that the Monty had a chain fitted. Anyway, the belt decided to give up one day, luckily it was the 1.6 litre - so not an interference engine and no damage resulted. If it had been a 2.0, it would have been game over for the engine.

Chains aren't the most reliable when coupled with plastic chain guides and problematic chain tensioners. Personally I'd prefer a belt.

The SUV has killed the Mondeo, but looking at the mess Ford have made of the Mk3 Kuga people will be shopping elsewhere.

Only 22,000 Mondeos sold last year (in UK?) apparently.

Or a plastic timing gear or a hex oil pump drive. :whistle:

My old man's 2.8 Granada back in the day had a nylon timing gear, it shattered one day, luckily it happened upon engine start up so no damage was done

My old man's 2.8 Granada back in the day had a nylon timing gear, it shattered one day, luckily it happened upon engine start up so no damage was done

Snap! The same happened on my dad's Morris Oxford, but that was a Fablon gear. Kind of lucky - we were passing through Oxfordshire when it failed, so not far from the factory and a parts source.

Sponsored Links
Back