EV are they worth it?

Sponsored Links

Are Chinese electric vehicles taking over the world?​

An in-depth article @ Al Jazeera suggests China is tightening its grip on world sales of EVs.​

Chinese EVs already make up 60 percent of worldwide sales, according to International Energy Agency, a Paris-based energy consultant. Tesla and BYD have been battling it out for market share for the last couple of years.

According to market research firm TrendForce’s February 2024 report, Chinese manufacturers already hold three of the top five spots for global market share – with BYD at 17 percent, GAC Aion at 5.2 percent and SAIC-GM-Wuling at 4.9 percent. Tesla is clinging on to the top spot with a market share of 19.9 percent while German manufacturer Volkswagen is in the fifth spot with a market share of 4.6 percent. By comparison, Chinese manufacturers were responsible for just 0.1 percent of global EV sales in 2012 – just 12 years ago.

Chinese EVs also tend to be cheaper than Western-made cars partly because much of the manufacturing process involved in producing car batteries is carried out by Chinese companies. Although the largest cobalt mine is in the Democratic Republic of Congo, in Africa, Chinese companies process the cobalt in those mines. In addition, China owns the third largest lithium mine in the world – in Yajiang, Southwest China’s Sichuan province. Both lithium and cobalt are essential raw materials needed to make the batteries that power EVs.

However, the raw materials to produce electric car batteries, such as nickel, lithium and cobalt, are becoming cheaper to mine. According to a March report from Goldman Sachs titled Electric Vehicles: What’s Next VII: Confronting Greenflation, the cost of battery packs account for 30 percent of total EV manufacturing costs. “We estimate that reductions in battery costs will bring this proportion down to a steady 15-20% percent during 2030-2040,” the report said.

Growth in the EV market is not just limited to the US, Europe and China. India has seen substantial growth in its EV market. According to the Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA), which is based in Delhi, between April 2023 and March 2024, the Indian EV car market saw a 91 percent year-over-year increase in car sales to 1.5 million last year. By comparison, the US sold 1.8 million and China sold eight million. Furthermore, Indian-made EVs are being exported. Stellantis, formed by a merger between Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and French PSA Group, recently launched EV exports from India under the Citroen brand. This week, the first 500 Citroen e-C3 models, which were manufactured in India, were shipped to Indonesia.

Another blow for the petrol-sniffers is news that...

Electric and plug-in hybrid car sales will jump to a new global record in 2024 despite slowing growth in some markets, according to forecasts from the influential International Energy Agency (IEA) which says that 17m battery electric vehicles and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles will be sold in 2024, up more than 20% compared with 2023. In the first quarter of 2024 there were more sales of electric and plug-in hybrids than in the whole of 2020, the IEA said. The UK was Europe’s biggest electric car market over the first three months of 2023 for the first time, according to Matthias Schmidt, an independent analyst.

more @ The Jolly Green Gurdiana :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I find some of the terms used confuse, I have a hybrid e-bike, that means it can be used on and off road. Seems hybrid with cars does not mean the same.

As to self charging, one would think leave it out in the sun, and it will recharge, but no, it is petrol-electric like trains are diesel-electric.

I see no reason not to fit a diesal or petrol generator into an electric car, be it as a range extender, or as a method to recharge when no electric outlet available.

However it seems down to law makers as what is classed as what.

The same with light cars, or quads, it seems top speed is an issue, and how it falls into taxation classes.

Electric and plug-in hybrid car sales will jump to a new global record
Your post count in this thread will also jump to the global record of your post count for this thread. Hopefully, you can see the flaws of the claims.

If EV's are selling so well, it should be self-evident on the roads or at people's homes. There is no such evidence. The inconvenience of EVs makes them non-viable. In less mature markets such as india or africa, it might work. Essentially, lack of experience will con people into buying them. After a while, people will realise what a bum deal they had and would stop buying.

There is no such evidence.
Plenty of evidence, but only for those who actually look.

The inconvenience of EVs makes them non-viable.
Spoken as someone who has never owned, driven or even looked at an electric vehicle and never will.
Carry on driving your diesel clunker 600 miles every day without stopping.

Spoken as someone who has never owned, driven or even looked at an electric vehicle and never will.
True enough. I only have experience throwing out battery devices. I do look, and kick myself sometimes for a nearby EV. The insurer will write off my car on the most minor claims. I can't afford to catch fire or get singed.

Plenty of evidence, but only for those who actually look.
Not where I live. EV is in tiny minority. Not a single household has a charger. Not sure where the minority idiot get their charge from.

Last edited:
I only have experience throwing out battery devices
And how many of those devices are cheap Chinese tat? It's all I see you proclaim to buy..

The insurer will write off my car on the most minor claims
Perhaps they're just sick of you pestering them about which dash wipes to use so you don't invalidate your insurance

I can't afford to catch fire

Don't own a car then. Anything with 50+ litres of highly flammable liquid on board is ripe for a carbecue

Not a single household has a charger

Oh you do make the most ridiculous sweeping statements.

Perhaps they don't have chargers because there isn't any way to seal up the hole drilled in the wall for the wire, given that you bought up the area's entire supply of mastic-like substances

Not sure where the minority idiot get their charge from.

Oh you do make the most ridiculous...

And how many of those devices are cheap Chinese tat? It's all I see you proclaim to buy..
They are 100% made in china because this country doesn't make stuff. These are lower quality compared to china brand or china no brand. Even with china brand I throw them all out because I don't need the inconvenience.

Sponsored Links
Back