Electric car trip hazard who is responsible?

Sponsored Links
I think you're overthinking everything, I daresay if someone tripped over and wanted to take legal action the canny solicitor will know who to go after. No doubt as somehow we are all to be driving electric vehicles in the near future somehow, despite all of the physical barriers preventing it (ie every single property with no driveway/allocated parking space etc, new legislation will also be brought in to accompany the situation

If you're walking between a car and an electric car charging point it is reasonable to expect there to be a cable.

Sponsored Links
I had problems with walk ways and mobility scooters and wheel chairs, mother was an amputee, I could not take her out on a Thursday due to bins on the path, they were there due to the council deciding they would do kerbside collections, before the collection in the main path was passable, but once connection was done there were wheelie bins everywhere.

Likewise here. The local by-law is that they should be taken in off the path, within an hour of being emptied, but in fact they are often left out blocking the path for the rest of the week by the born lazy. The paths are just wide enough for the bins, so the only way is to risk it and walk on the road. Add to that the over grown hedges and cars unnecessarily parked blocking the footpaths. Why do they think it's OK to do that? What purpose does it serve, when the road is perfectly wide enough for vehicles to easily pass, why park partially or entirely blocking the footpath?

If you're walking between a car and an electric car charging point it is reasonable to expect there to be a cable.
How do you know this if it's dark?

There is a Tesla charges near me, it has a Blue cable.
The charging point has no lights on.
Maybe not best for in the dark?

How do you know this if it's dark?

There is a Tesla charges near me, it has a Blue cable.
The charging point has no lights on.
Maybe not best for in the dark?
If you can't tell it's a charging station then it's not well enough lit. But if you can see a charging station and a car then you should assume there's a cable there somewhere.

If one is walking straight ahead then yes any sighted person should see cables wall before they reach them. However in a car park one is looking ahead selecting a route around cars, and if carrying anything often you can't see the ground immediately in front of one. Also in a public place one has to expect people who do not have 20 20 vision.

Much depends on what we expect to find, walking through a woodland I expect to find roots etc. Walking in a paved area one expects it to be devoid of trip hazards.

If one is walking straight ahead then yes any sighted person should see cables wall before they reach them. However in a car park one is looking ahead selecting a route around cars, and if carrying anything often you can't see the ground immediately in front of one. Also in a public place one has to expect people who do not have 20 20 vision.

Much depends on what we expect to find, walking through a woodland I expect to find roots etc. Walking in a paved area one expects it to be devoid of trip hazards.
Reasonable in the past, but now your expectations should change.

Anyhoo, my neighbour had her EV people carrier 1/2 on the pavement recently, leaving an 18" gap so no prams can pass and the cable coming out of a top window.
It was absolutely a trip hazard.

Don't you just love such selfish bas...ds. One of my ex. neighbours had the answer, force the pushchair through the gap with zero regard for the offending vehicle's paintwork. The owner doesn't usually block the footpath again :whistle:

My route to post box up though the estate is though a section where the drives to integral garages were steep, and most the houses have turned the garage into a room, and park on the street, the bin lorry and oil tankers for central heating oil would not get through if they parked on the road only and most park on the walkway as well, but there is so little traffic it really does not matter, at least with cars running off liquid fuel.

There is also an area where the cars have a communal parking area, with even the odd motor caravan parked, again no real problem even if parked so we have little two way traffic.

But further down the village the narrow B4389 is a real problem, there is a car park rarely used, and there is a chicane to slow traffic and the parked cars increase the chicane, I tried using a mobility scooter, and just about passable without the cars on walkway, but anything which makes the walkway narrower would mean push chairs and mobility scooters would not be able to use it.

There is no way anyone could charge a car on the road, there is simply no room to fit charging points, it would mean the car park would need to be used and charging points put in the car park. In some ways this would improve the situation as people would have to stop parking on the road.

But even further down the B4389 there is no car park that can be used, clearly the houses were built when far less traffic, and there is no way anyone could have an electric car near the house. The A458 does have parked cars, and is a little wider, but there is a lack of parking space, and further down the A458 on the Banwy Industrial estate is where the only two electric car charging points are, there are now just three users of the industrial estate, and the car parks belong to the railway, there is parking for around 50 cars, but when there is any event this is hardly enough, so although loads of spare electrical capacity as all the start up sections of the industrial estate now belong to the railway, very few of the users of the charge points actually use the railway. So they reduce the car parking available. As a volunteer during events I am asked not to park my car there, the local school has some car parking, but I use an e-bike.

I am one of the few in the village who has some where I could have an EV charger most don't have the option, but I am sure some will try. The whole village has an old world charm, we still have steam trains, but that does not stop massive agricultural vehicles coming through the village, well technically a town as it seems in the past there was a market here, but in the push to have electric vehicles we must go forward not back wards, and make it safer for the pedestrian and pedal cyclist.

Adding trip hazards is not going to get more people walking. And what an EV charge cable would do to a skate board I don't know?

Seems rather pointless, we already have a container system and a rail network. The Scammell Scarab upload_2021-12-4_8-18-6.png was designed to go into rail yards and be as maneuverable as horse and cart, but more environmental friendly producing less waste to the horse and less CO2 gas as well.

No permitted on the road today as no brake on the front wheel, however the whole aim should be to remove large wagons from our roads, there is little need for them.

However the government needs to lead by example, ground all the Royal mail planes and return to Royal mail trains would be one step. There is simply no need to fly fright up and down the country.

Sponsored Links
Back