When will an electric car be able to do Paris Dakar?

Sponsored Links
I think you missed something in IT Minions post...
Sometimes I just can't resist. :(

Yes EVs have Aircon, and assuming you're plugged in you can normally set the heating or Aircon to get your car ready for you before you get in.

Also, EVs are much simpler mechanically than petrol or diesel cars and so don't need as many complex systems to manage extreme conditions.

I do wonder though how much the range of an EV drops when you need a lot of heating or cooling input. Perhaps cars should be better insulated - anybody who has sat in a parked car in winter, even a UK winter, can testify how quickly they go cold without the engine running.

Teslas have a neat AC feature - dog mode, which keeps the interior cooled while parked so you can leave a dog in it without the poor creature dying, and it uses its large screen to tell people its on so that hopefully they dont smash a window to "rescue" the animal.

tesla-dog-omde-and-buster.jpg

Sponsored Links
Cold weather does hurt range but it's generally manageable, there's plenty of stuff about it if you're interested. Norway has a huge number of EVs and isn't known for its balmy tropical weather.

I saw something years ago about cars in ultra cold environments where shops have charging points by all parking spaces for heating blankets. They needed them to keep the engines warm enough that the oil didn't freeze. o_O

Most regular cars have block heater options when sold in really cold climates.

All modern EVs have systems that maintain the environment of the battery pack. Sometimes it's more efficient to heat the cells rather than delve deeper into the cold and lose more performance to the cold (eventually the liquid electrolyte gets cold enough that resistance is so high that it makes sense to heat the pack to avoid any additional resistance).

Earlier Tesla's if static and unplugged could heat the pack with 3000W until 20% battery capacity remained and was generally only a concern at -20 to -30 C.

Regarding truly fast charging. It already exists. 800V 350kW is available in the UK and the new "fastest" standard will be 600a 500kW soon enough. The practical limitation of this isn't the battery pack or degradation.

Cold weather does hurt range but it's generally manageable, there's plenty of stuff about it if you're interested. Norway has a huge number of EVs and isn't known for its balmy tropical weather.

I saw something years ago about cars in ultra cold environments where shops have charging points by all parking spaces for heating blankets. They needed them to keep the engines warm enough that the oil didn't freeze. o_O
What Norway is your friends from?
My friend is in a town where the smallest vehicle is a range rover 3.0 litre diesel.

What Norway is your friends from?
My friend is in a town where the smallest vehicle is a range rover 3.0 litre diesel.
I didn't mention any friends.

But Norway has around 50% BEV sales this year, add in plugin hybrids and I think they're something like 75%.

I didn't mention any friends.

But Norway has around 50% BEV sales this year, add in plugin hybrids and I think they're something like 75%.
They probably use them for bonfire so they can keep warm.
You know these Norwegians, they're rich and extravagant.
Even I would buy all prius on the market and burn them if I was rich....
Can't blame them really.

800V 350kW is available in the UK and the new "fastest" standard will be 600a 500kW soon enough. The practical limitation of this isn't the battery pack or degradation.
There will come a point where people will not be able to lift the connector cable. 10kg/m for something that can carry 500A?

Adding a water jacket to the cable isnt likely to make it lighter.

There will come a point where people will not be able to lift the connector cable. 10kg/m for something that can carry 500A?

Both the connector and the cable are smaller, goal is 600 A, 1500 V. Liquid cooled plugs and cables will be slightly larger.

The standard allows for and UL certify a boost mode that enables charging with higher current than the continuous rated current of the cable assembly for a limited period of time. Allowed by current control with temperature monitoring functionality.

Sponsored Links
Back