Forms of transport, what are the alternatives.

Can't get water in air intake of an electric, so in theroy wearing an diving gear you should be able to drive in any depth of water.

In reality there must be a limit to pressure it can take, but what we are looking at is how reliable.

And how easy to repair with minimum of tools. Having been stuck in the Sahara in Algera for 3 days in 1981 I am very aware of problems repairing a Chevy Blazer compaired with Landrover.

There is a huge diffrence driving on road and off road, I use my e-bike on canal tow paths and normal roads, if I break down on normal roads a phone call I am picked up, on the tow path I need to get to a road, however most problems can be repaired, and can use pedal power to get home what ever happens to electrics.

I don't have a clue how reliable an electric car is?

Sponsored Links
Don't know if it's a national thing (haven't looked into it), but all single bus fares around here are £2 at the moment. There are many single buses I could take taking me a good distance.

We never drive into cities so it's not changed the way we'd get to one, and I can't use transport to get to work, but the reduction in fare has led to us taking a number of smaller journeys by bus -- for example nipping into the next town to get a few things, then maybe walking home. We do a lot of walking, too, and twice now we have planned a route from a bus stop.

If the price reduction was permanent, we'd permanently use the bus instead of a car for many journeys.

I found Cornwall got it spot on. £5 maximum fare a day capped at £20 a week. The buses were all nearly 20 years old, but going strong and offering fantastic value considering the mileage you got. By the end of our holiday there, we knew two drivers on first name basis!

I think only England, at my age free any way. The problem is three fold, one no bus shelters, and two very few buses, and three can't carry my bike to continue where buses don't run.

But before moving to Mid Wales in North Wales I used them a lot I pay just under £70 for a three year pass on the train. As can take my bike. But trains only run in the summer.

Yes guess it depends on your locality. The lack of shelter doesn't bother me, but I'd be worried about missing that infrequent connection. We were in Barmouth in 2021 and used the coastal train which was fantastic. There were only two bus services from memory and the times were a bit rubbish.

My Dad got his bus pass a few years ago (don't know when you get them, he's 71 now) but he said it's useless as it only works after 09:30 so he just pays.

Sponsored Links
@cwhaley the bus passes in Wales don't have the time restriction, and the Barmouth line can be used in Winter with a Welsh bus pass for free, think there are three Welsh train lines where there are no usable bus services which can be used with a bus pass, Hawarden Bridge to Wrexham is another one which can be used with bus pass, there is a third but don't know where.

From Barmouth to Dolgellau the cycle route is very good, no motor traffic, the only problem is where the railway bridge goes onto the main road at Barmouth, however in the other direction towards Tywyn the road is winding and on the cliff edge, so only safe way is on the train.

Same where I live, not quite so bad as road towards Twywn, but still a dangerous road to cycle along. The road in either direction from Welshpool following the canal is reasonably wide and straight, and this road does not need cycling on as there is the canal tow path, but in the other directions both towards Shrewsbury or Llanfair the road is steep so cyclists are slow, and has loads of bends, so is dangerous to cycle on.

I don't have a clue how reliable an electric car is?

According to my mate who grew up taking apart ICEs, and has now added EV to his skillset, electric motors have next-to-sod-all moving parts, and will run forever. The other bits; suspension, steering components, braking, tyres etc, often identical to ICE cars, so they'll need replacing similarly.

(Notwithstanding software issues, and the inevitable gremlins from new and unproven tech.)

According to my mate who grew up taking apart ICEs, and has now added EV to his skillset, electric motors have next-to-sod-all moving parts, and will run forever. The other bits; suspension, steering components, braking, tyres etc, often identical to ICE cars, so they'll need replacing similarly.

(Notwithstanding software issues, and the inevitable gremlins from new and unproven tech.)
Looking at the service intervals for EVs, I think the manufacturers would agree with you! I've for a November 2022 EV, and the "app" that came with it, tells me my "first service" is due in November 2025! (To be fair, it's also saying I'll need a brake fluid change before then).

Sponsored Links
Back