Public Transport

Surely buses are for people who cannot afford cars? Why else would you subject yourself to the misery ?

they dont let sheep on public transport. so nothing for you to lust over ;)
misery would be traveling with you!

Sponsored Links
You certainly cant beat a car on a day like today. Walk out, in car, warm air, mrs to talk to, and above all, its dry and ontime/reliable.

As above, I believe 90% ogf people would travel in their own car if they could afford to. Why go through that misery and hassle when its not required?

You certainly cant beat a car on a day like today. Walk out, in car, warm air, mrs to talk to, and above all, its dry and ontime/reliable.

As above, I believe 90% ogf people would travel in their own car if they could afford to. Why go through that misery and hassle when its not required?

very true

where i live, it takes 25 mins on a train to the west end/london.
it would take more than two hours to get to the same place by car. waterloo.
the only way you can do it quicker is by going really early or by m/bike.

all the benefits of a car have to be compared to the speed of the train.
there is a balance to be struck and to be of value, all costs need to be included.

(i have to say, i dont like the bus)

And a lot safer for you both, well worth the extra.

Statistically you are more likely to die in a car crash, than a bus crash ;)
libby didn't mention 'car crash' in his comment Deluks. I think that libby's comment was actually in relation to 'personal safety' ie being attacked.

I use public transport when I think it is more effective than the car. Effective meaning... I might want to have a drink or it might be easier as parking would be a nightmare etc. If I had a choice I'd use the car for most of the reasons outlined above. I suspect that most people would use their car given the choice, no matter how good public transport gets.

Sponsored Links
Park and ride is an idea I'm having trouble coming to terms with. Why drive to a glorified bus stop? Especially when the area for 3 miles around has a brilliant bus system, every 5-8 minutes. Then they force all these bus services through the park and ride stop, adding two minutes onto their journeys (waiting for traffic lights to change), and then lay on additional buses to simply serve the P&R! :eek:

i live in barnsley s yorks and have used a bus once in 5 years it was full of rubbish, stunk like sick and was full of little hooligans really enjoyable seeing how the peasants travel.being in the trade it s just not possible to use public transport i d spend more time waiting for buses than working plus where would i put my tools

i live in barnsley s yorks and have used a bus once in 5 years it was full of rubbish, stunk like sick and was full of little hooligans really enjoyable seeing how the peasants travel.being in the trade it s just not possible to use public transport i d spend more time waiting for buses than working plus where would i put my tools

it's one of my "winning the lottery" things to employ two labourers, on a day rate, to lay a patio, on the basis they use public transport to bring all the materials.

pallet of slabs, 20 bags of sand, trying to board a bus= chaos, police etc. Patio would probably never get done but I wouldn't stop untill I end up in court

but if they're gonna criminalise every person who drives a personal vehicle in london, what choice do I have if I'm trying to do the right thing?

Public transport on the whole is great and only has a few minor downsides, being:
1 it never leaves from where I am
2 it never goes to where I want to be
3 you have a serious chance of getting robbed, knifed, assaulted or raped
4 it takes a lot longer than private transport in 99% of cases
5 it is usually more expensive unless you travel with more than 1 person in a car; in that case it is ALWAYS more expensive
6 there is more filth on the seats than is medically safe
7 at unmanned stations where there is more than 1 direction, it is a complete guess where you will end up as the train that stops at 18.07 is probably not THE 18.07

apart from that, it is not too bad

Public transport on the whole is great and only has a few minor downsides, being:
1 it never leaves from where I am
Where in London are you based that a bus does not run from?

2 it never goes to where I want to be
Where in London are you trying to reach that a bus does not run to?

3 you have a serious chance of getting robbed, knifed, assaulted or raped
Are you Daily Mail reader by any chance?

4 It takes a lot longer than private transport in 99% of cases
I can get down to the West End in 20 minutes on a bus or 15 minutes by tube. How the f*ck am I going to do this by car and be able to park?

5 it is usually more expensive unless you travel with more than 1 person in a car; in that case it is ALWAYS more expensive
Utter b*ll*cks – If you are entering Central London (before 7pm) you will have to pay the £8 Congestion Charge and once you have reached your destination point you will need to find a parking space – meters priced at 20p/5 mins are typical. You can get a 1 day bus pass on your Oyster Card for £3.50 – takes you anywhere in Greater London. A 2 zone travel card for costs £4.80, again on the Oyster Card.

6 there is more filth on the seats than is medically safe
Yes, nobody can have failed to read all of those BMA warnings about the perils of public transport seats and how TFL specifically select fabrics conducive to propagating the bacterium of TB, Dengue fever, MRSA, ecoli. It’s simply appalling.

7 at unmanned stations where there is more than 1 direction, it is a complete guess where you will end up as the train that stops at 18.07 is probably not THE 18.07

Most unmanned stations will have some means of visual notification. Try looking for it. Oh yes, that 16.07 is notoriously unrealiable – I always avoid it.

apart from that, it is not too bad

Apart from that a very well-rounded, astute, finger-on-the-pulse analysis clearly from someone who has spent far too much time viewing the world framed by two windscreen wipers and a tax disc! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back