Speed limit change will likely force people to use cars rather than public transport!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67162541 report is saying how the buses are delayed in the 20 MPH areas, and the way to get around the problem is to cut services.

I remember when my children were getting to working age, and my daughter got a job in Ellesmere Port quite close to Mold, just 14 miles. There was a good bus service to Ellesmere Port, but this stopped before her shop closed, so return was vie Chester, so three different companies, and three weekly tickets, so she learnt to drive and got a car. Once she had the car, she used it, and buses where never used again.

This is the problem, once forced to buy a car, it would be daft not to use it unless buses very cheap or free.

I could not really do without a car, the bus into local town gives me a 4 hour window before I need to return, so I could not get to the hospital in Shrewsbury using the bus and return the same day. They say I could use a taxi, but that is not really public transport, it carries just me.

Sponsored Links
Working hours public transport doesn't work in the English countryside either.
We have a bus service through the village (for the workers) at 07:15, the weekly ticket covered both out and return trips; the one that was provided for the return journey left the destination town at 16:15, doesn't now due to lack of use! When the company was asked to make the service a hour later the response was the company didn't have the drivers...

And if labour gets in, (and I stress I am no damn tory) which is looking increasingly likely, there will be ULEZ in every major city and 20 MPH limits everywhere. Apart from an absolutely disasterous train journey from Carmarthen to York a few weeks ago I have never used public transport and I don't think I ever will again.

I've just been to Wales this morning - WTF, nearly fell asleep and mowed 3 people down with the boredom (of driving at 20, not Wales!) absolutely madness.

Sponsored Links
Once again .. it's all about controlling our lives.
Living in a rural location & rarely drive into town (that still has 30 & 40 limits) I'm not effected .. yet.

Last edited:
Back