The DIYnot Wine List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i like the odd bottle of red so decided to go along the shelves in the Co-op and try them all. So far so good.

My sister got me a bottle for Christmas:

F4811CE9-D50C-4367-BBEC-FA268D08FF48.png

https://www.majestic.co.uk/wines/mc...vQDbkkk8xRNDrQBbFN8KeBx-odj05n8kaAppgEALw_wcB

It wasn’t great. No real taste while drinking it and no taste after a sip.

I woke up rough as **** after half a bottle.

What are you drinking? Do you always have the same and do you try and match it to food?

Sponsored Links
What are you drinking?
At 16:20 on a Monday, a cup of tea. :mrgreen:

Do you always have the same
No.

And I'm finding it harder and harder to get red wine which I like, as the popular taste for soft, fruity, jammy stuff that tastes like boiled-up winegums takes over the world, and wines with a bit of backbone, tannin and oak disappear under a flood of wine made for people who it seems don't actually like wine.

and do you try and match it to food?
Yes.

I splashed out just before Christmas and bought a dozen bottles from Sainsbury while they were 25% off. Prices I paid before discount ranged from £12 - £22 a bottle. Some were good - I particularly liked the George’s Debouf Brouily and Fleurie reds. As a rule though, I like the Sainsbury own range costing around a fiver a bottle. They were better than half of those more expensive ones. Someone bought me a £30 bottle of 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape in our family secret Santa for Christmas and that was bloody nice.

Last edited:
Excellent value - Yellow Tail Malbec, around £7
An excellent discovery, Apothic red, blend, around £9 (particularly recommended!)
John :)

Sponsored Links
I look at red wine & think "that looks nice", I then try it, tried it several times & always come to the conclusion that it is vile. Cheap, pricey, various years & countries but never found any that don't make me wince. Tried port, got to admit I quite liked it (many years ago) but give me a wheat beer (Hoegaarden) & I am happy, or a cup of tea.

If I have a particularly memorable bottle of wine, I soak the labels off and stick them inside our kitchen cabinets to look back on.

Have a look at the label bottom left in this picture.

It’s this one and a lady that worked for me gave me 4 bottles from a case of 6 that her husband bought in a pub in Canning Town that had turned out to have been 'liberated' from a wine exhibition at the nearby Excel centre by some local scrotes. He paid £30 for the case! They were 'only' £275 a bottle when she gave 'em to me.

They were awful - she wasn’t a wine drinker and mixed hers with a splash of lemonade! This was over 10 years ago and if you look at the optimum drinking date, you can see we had them way too early. Shoulda laid them down in me cellar!

I look at red wine & think "that looks nice", I then try it, tried it several times & always come to the conclusion that it is vile. Cheap, pricey, various years & countries but never found any that don't make me wince. Tried port, got to admit I quite liked it (many years ago) but give me a wheat beer (Hoegaarden) & I am happy, or a cup of tea.

temperature and being allowed to breathe makes all the difference

I'm finding it harder and harder to get red wine which I like, as the popular taste for soft, fruity, jammy stuff that tastes like boiled-up winegums takes over the world, and wines with a bit of backbone, tannin and oak disappear under a flood of wine made for people who it seems don't actually like wine.

Try a crianza or gran reserva if you like oaky tannin rich wine?

Worked at Unwins while at college and with my staff discount, my dad and I decided to work our way though as many of the wines as we could and of course, afford.
We came to the conclusion that over a certain price - about £20 for today's money, there was little difference when going higher in price, certainly not worth spending out for (and some were downright horrible) but those around the £20 mark were very nice, Brouilly, Saint Emilion, Chateauneuf du Pape and the like - all rather nice and reliable. Wines from Oz were just beginning to take off and can see why they were a success (though white was better than red) and unexpected for us, Hungarian cheapish red wines were rather good on a whole.

These days I don't drink any of them, hangovers just last too long so I stick to a cuppa :)

These are the ones i’ve had so far, all good except the Muriel.

CB0D7457-44D6-4874-BFB3-3D960FEAC367.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back