Whirlpool bath will not start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a whirlpool bath which will fail to start, if I press the button you hear a buzz but the jets fail to kick in. I believe it is the air switch type. My little daughter has just had a bath with the game on the link below. The bath was throughly rinsed out immediately. It also states on box it is safe and would not cause any blocks. It just seems like a coincedance that it has stopped working after this bath tonight. Last time it was used working was yesterday .

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/toys/gelli...:MCF:desktop&gclid=CJaoj8HSodACFUk8GwodbroJXQ.

Is there anything I can try ? Could the cable of fell of the switch ? If so would it still try and buzz to start if half on ?

Could some of this stuff of got into the pump filter ?

I believe this is my pump, could it be blocked inside where the two white caps are ?

http://www.hottubdiy.co.uk/ja75-lx-pump.html?gclid=CLzFh4TXodACFUyNGwodiE8Hsg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OH dear, I dare say that stuff isn't compatible with a pumped bath. Anywhere the water could get I would assume the goo could get to as well.

That being said I wouldn't blame it quite yet. A buzzing pump could be siezed as @muggles suggests, could need a new capacitor orrrrr could be gummed up with the goo. Whichever it is, I would say that the pump needs to come out and get stripped down to establish the cause.

Sounds very much like a siezed pump to me

Could a little bit of goo seize the pump it wasnt very thick. I guess so as the breaking down was impecable timing. Do you think i could use a jet was down one of the bath jets. My bath is tiled in (;. ?

Sponsored Links
OH dear, I dare say that stuff isn't compatible with a pumped bath. Anywhere the water could get I would assume the goo could get to as well.

That being said I wouldn't blame it quite yet. A buzzing pump could be siezed as @muggles suggests, could need a new capacitor orrrrr could be gummed up with the goo. Whichever it is, I would say that the pump needs to come out and get stripped down to establish the cause.
Where would capacitors be located in the control box. My capacitors went on my tv once. Do I just check to see if the heafs are raised ?

Depends, it may in the control box or on the back of the pump. It really would need a resistance test but you need to be careful, if it's not a capacitor issue then it could be charged @ 240V. Maybe pop into the electrical forum and ask them about testing a 240V pump start/run capacitor. Either way the pump needs to come out unfortunately. Can also check for a blockage in the impeller or check if it is seized once it's out.

Turn it on and flick the cooling fan at the back of the motor. If it's the cap that's failed it'll start if it doesn't run at all it's seized

Turn it on and flick the cooling fan at the back of the motor. If it's the cap that's failed it'll start if it doesn't run at all it's seized
Cheers, if it is seized because of this toy goo what is ment to dilute. Would getting down the jets with a jet wash maybe not unclear it

Thanks

Ok anyone help please. I tried the jetwash. No joy. Just had to smash off 9 tiles and cut back backerboard to get access to pump. I need to remove pump. I have one more probble. I can only open one of the nuts on the flow pipes as other is to tight. Is there a tool to assist in this ? The nut is about 5 inches wide so any grips ive got would not be suitable plus any bigger prob would struggle to get under the bath at it. Please help guys. Im in the middle of it now, do not wanna leave my bathroom looking like this.

Thanks

Yes there is a tool - a Boa Constrictor strap wrench. You may get one at a DIY store near you.

I ended up getting on of my big adjustable wrenches in and struggled. I have removed pump. It is not the switch that is working and cclicking fine. I have took cover off motor and turned it. That is spinning freely. I have opened control cover and there is a white capacitor. Seems it prob this.

Am I right in saying if I can move the motor and the fan spins at the back then its not seized ?

Tried this but didnt work but I do not think the motor is seized as I can spin it freely with cover off and the fan moves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back