Checking capacitor on whirlpool pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a whirlpool bath that failed to start. The power is getting to the pump and it makes a buzzing noise like power there but it failed to start. I removed pump and checked switch, this is fine. I opened motor to see if pump had seized but I can move freely. I then went to control box and there is a capacitor. I believe this may be while the pump will not start. Can I check this with a volt meter ?

Sponsored Links
A picture would help, start capacitors are usually mounted on or very close to the motor, not in a control panel.

The easiest way to check it is to replace it, a dinky little capacitor like that won't be expensive. What is the rating printed on it?

Sponsored Links
Yep, 6uf capacitor, from what I`ve seen it doesn`t look like it popped but change it and see what happens. You could get 50% of costs back selling it on fleabay as a Saniflo capacitor if needed to.

Last edited:
What else could I check if I replace capacitor and its doesnt work. Ive got the pump dismantled now and out so could maybe do them checks now ?

What kind of switch is on these? Air switches have a habit of failing.

If the motor is humming but can be rotated by hand, it's either the capacitor or a winding on the motor has failed.

The cable is connected to both ends. I click the button and it turns the motor on to hum could it still be switch ?
Can you use a screwdriver to flick the impeller of the pump or the fan of the motor when the switch is on? If the motor bursts into life then it would be the capacitor. WARNING; flick and remove the screwdriver dam quick in one motion!

Can you use a screwdriver to flick the impeller of the pump or the fan of the motor when the switch is on? If the motor bursts into life then it would be the capacitor. WARNING; flick and remove the screwdriver dam quick in one motion!

Thers a screw at back of fan, do you mean turn pump on and spin than to see if starts motor ?

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 305

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back