The Earths resources...

I

imamartian

What i don't get is.....
Just turn around 180deg away from your pc.... what can you see?

Think about the earth 10,000 years ago.... no plastic bags, no steel chariots burning fossiled trees and animals.... no plastic..... look back into your room..... where does it all come from?

ok, the wood inside your sofa is from a tree, and the glass in your windows is from all that sand in the sahara..... but what about that black plastic around the telly you stare at most days ! or the man made fibre in the carpets you walk on....

what about the hundreds of bricks that protect you... or the huge slab of concrete that you're sitting on....

we are abusing this planet soooo much.... how long can it go on?

Sponsored Links
I suppose till people lose the "live for today" attitude?

Tim, agreed

but isn't it scary, just how much of these resources we use?

Before the industrial revolution and production line strategies, people would use resources as and when needed to an extent.
Come the production lines, all of a sudden we were producing in excess of what was needed.
Nowadays we waste produce by excess, households buy and throw away food not used before sell by days.
vast stockpiles form due to legislation etc etc etc.

We need to get back to a simple way of life, not easy now we've tasted the forbidden fruit but necessary before we take things too far and make ourselves extinct as a species.

Or perhaps the choice of a simpler way of life may be forced on the majority when the oil reserves run out?

Sponsored Links
i think Mother Nature will have a much bigger say.. as she has done in the past, she will kill millions... and restrict our access to so much..... we will then live that simple life ! i hope it comes after my life and after my kids' life

i think Mother Nature will have a much bigger say.. as she has done in the past, she will kill millions... and restrict our access to so much..... we will then live that simple life ! i hope it comes after my life and after my kids' life
but what about their kids?
We are making choices or not for their futures as well as ours.

Here in the UK, if you look out of your window, you are more than likely to see a view that is far less polluted than it used to be. We burn cleaner fuels than 100 years ago, the vehicles are cleaner (just far more of them), and of those industries that still operate in this country - are much more efficient.

The water quality of our rivers and coastal waters are far cleaner than they used to be (often cleaner than pre-industrial era), and life expectancy of the population is higher than ever.

If we were to return to a kind of pre-industrial lifestyle as a population, we would be ill equipped to deal with those pollution and health issues we currently are able to as society can afford to. As has been mentioned, if we care about future generations, we need to maintain a quality of life, and by extension, the means to maintain it. Many of us aspire to a greener liftestyle, but a perspective should be kept as to what we should aspire to.

Those industries that have moved to China/India etc.- some have continued cause horrendous pollution there, and we enjoy the benefits (hmmm), but most have moved there due to cheaper labour.

China is/will improve its pollution controls for a number reasons. These include:
1. Its own well being as a country
2. There is a correlation between pollution control and efficiency, and therefore saving money.
3. Improve its image.

As for resources, while a site runs dry of a resource, others will be found. It is unusual to run out of any natural reource, and the more demand for something, the more its worth it to invest in extracting harder to get at resources. For an excellent read on resources, and why peak oil is not something we should fret about too much, see here:
http://www.juliansimon.org/writings/Ultimate_Resource/

life expectancy of the population is higher than ever.
I think you've hit the nail right on the head there, the earth is struggling to feed so many, perhaps its better that we go back to a lower life expectancy?

Ok, add in anyone who is all take and no give, ergo an oxygen thief. Apologies for the typo ;)

Here in the UK, if you look out of your window, you are more than likely to see a view that is far less polluted than it used to be. We burn cleaner fuels than 100 years ago, the vehicles are cleaner (just far more of them), and of those industries that still operate in this country - are much more efficient.

The water quality of our rivers and coastal waters are far cleaner than they used to be (often cleaner than pre-industrial era), and life expectancy of the population is higher than ever.

If we were to return to a kind of pre-industrial lifestyle as a population, we would be ill equipped to deal with those pollution and health issues we currently are able to as society can afford to. As has been mentioned, if we care about future generations, we need to maintain a quality of life, and by extension, the means to maintain it. Many of us aspire to a greener liftestyle, but a perspective should be kept as to what we should aspire to.

Those industries that have moved to China/India etc.- some have continued cause horrendous pollution there, and we enjoy the benefits (hmmm), but most have moved there due to cheaper labour.

China is/will improve its pollution controls for a number reasons. These include:
1. Its own well being as a country
2. There is a correlation between pollution control and efficiency, and therefore saving money.
3. Improve its image.

As for resources, while a site runs dry of a resource, others will be found. It is unusual to run out of any natural reource, and the more demand for something, the more its worth it to invest in extracting harder to get at resources. For an excellent read on resources, and why peak oil is not something we should fret about too much, see here:
http://www.juliansimon.org/writings/Ultimate_Resource/[/QUOTE]

i wasn't on about oil... because i hope/expect someone to invent an effective replacement. But i mean things like concrete, iron ore.. the sort of stuff it takes this planet millions of years to produce it, and humans a couple of hundred years to use it all up....

i wasn't on about oil... because i hope/expect someone to invent an effective replacement. .

Not until they learn to break the rules of science they won't. You can't get more out than you put in. Mother Nature put the umph into oil. Sadly, she didn't put any into anything else. :cry:

I used to think about the planets welfare many many years ago, and believe iv'e always done my best, brought my family up with the same attitude.
Iv'e never bought plastic wrapped food if possible, a personal hatred for the stuff, leaches many chemicals, still fill empty freezer/fridge gaps with scrunched newspapers.my mates used to laught at me, call me tight arse.

They don't laught no more.

But lately, iv'e had a change of heart, after seeing so many selfish countries and rich people thinking these rules don't apply to them.

Like a link i clicked on today, showing the "well off" getting their chuaffer to circle harrods etc,in their bentleys and others big machines, i'm alright jack, for 5 f in hours :evil:

I'd pay that little extra to help mother earth, at the end of the day, it is my real mum. and my kids.

But, i now feel at 47, its now my duty to look after ME. sad, i know.

Sponsored Links
Back