The fixing of wooden parts on an old Victorian clock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There, On a couple of occasions I've used wood glues to affix small wooden decor bits that have fallen off an old wooden wall clock not long after it came into my possession from a place where it had hung for decades, but they are not staying on (some are 6 inches or so long}.
It is impossible to use a clamp to steady them. After watching 'The Repair Shop' the other night, a guy used a 2 part Epoxy glue which had a clear appearance when he mixed them together -a bit like Araldite, that only needed to be held on for a short time, say 5 to 10 minutes. He obviously could not name the glue on tv.
Can anyone suggest what it could be please. Cheers and ta.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the Araldite website and see if they recommend a particular one for what you want.
Other companies also make epoxy resins but I can't think of one at the moment.

Sponsored Links
As a traditionalist i would shun the use of modern glues on an antique repair (partly because they can kill the value of the item), especially as modern versions of the original glues in the making of this item are still available. Look for Titebond liquid hide glue and Google instrument repairs and you'll see what i mean.

That's good to know JobAndKnock and I'll look into that. The main proviso' is the fact that I can't use a clamp and therefore something that is fast setting would be ideal.
Many Thanks -Appreciated!

mmmmm? A device for tightening a rope or cable by twisting it using a stick as a lever!.......I'll have to have a look into that too! -Many Thanks again.

Dead cheap. Use folded cardboard to protect vulnerable corners/raised portions and maybe a couple of (removable) veneer pins to.hold the moulding in exact position whilst you clamp it. The veneer pins are tiny and are easily removed once the glue is fully set. The holes they make are so small that you often don't need to fill them if you position carefully

Sounds possible and I will weigh up if this is possible. Just a bit worried about tapping the pins in to other bits surrounding the affected areas in case I knock those off too. Again, Many Thanks for your help and I appreciate you taking the time to help out.

Yes Bourbon, the old glue is completely removed. The bits are very clean and dry.
Thanks for getting in touch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back