the gaps between hard wood floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are gaps of up to 8mm between my hard wood floorboards (most of them are the original boards laid many years ago). Does anyone know the best method for filling the gaps? The previous owner used a mix of wood glue and saw dust, colour matched, to plug the gaps but with two years having passed, some plugs have fallen away. Does anyone have a better method?

Sponsored Links
I don't know much about it but I've seen Flooring company put in some sort of rope or fibre string glued into the gap then sand it down,finish it off with a sealer.

If you are going to resand the floors using one of those industrial sanders, keep the dust it collects and then mix this with the wood glue - this is probably what the previous owners used, I have used it and it is successful. If however you are not resanding then another method - and one i have also used with success - is to slice thin bits of cork either from a cork board - or more enjoyably out of several bottles of wine!!!

OAKUM
Pronunciation: 'owkum

Definition: [n] loose hemp or jute fiber obtained by unravelling old ropes; when impregnated with tar it was used to caulk seams and pack joints in wooden ships

A similar method may be applied to wooden flooring with appropriate powdered resin adhesive and wood dust.

Sponsored Links
The method described by renovator is used in clinker-hulled boats (those where the hull is made up of planks).

If you live anywhere near a boatyard (there are loads of these in my part of Surrey along the Thames, not sure about the rest of the country!) they can sort you out with the necessary materials.

Sawdust and glue would be a lot quicker easier as the rope-caulking method involves pre-twisting the fibres before it is laid so it expands into the joint. The advantage of the caulking method is that as it has been used on boats for hundreds, maybe thousands of years, it must be possible to make it waterproof thus ideal if you are using it in a bathroom or kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back