The garage want £50. to diagnose my car fault.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All, I 've never had this before. My 2004 Astra's speedo is no tworking and the ABS light is on. A garage has said that it wants £50.00 to have it scanned.

Is this right, normal please, I don't want to be conned?

Keep well.

Alan

Sponsored Links
Hello All, I 've never had this before. My 2004 Astra's speedo is no tworking and the ABS light is on. A garage has said that it wants £50.00 to have it scanned.

Is this right, normal please, I don't want to be conned?

Keep well.

Alan

Well, yes but you could get your own diagnostic reader and get any codes yourself.

That is about the going rate for a scan - just make sure if you buy your own scanner it can handle ABS systems.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Bit off topic here, but when you get the codes are manufacturers now obliged to publish the detailed diagnostics, previously unless you had the approved manufacturers software, you could only get fairly general info about any codes

as replied at ultimatehandyman

i have been quoted £130 for a scan at a citroen dealer, but also included an hour of labour.

NOT a mechanic
BUT from experience over the years , that sort of price seems OK, make sure they have the proper scanner for your car, some scanners will give generic results, (i bought one from ebay for £20 , and it was OK displaying the fault codes and able to reset the engine light - EGR fault, just needed cleaning ) we had that from our local independant , they share a range of scanners between garages - they could do anything on a saab i had , but the citroen just gave a list of 3 possible problems. Took it into the citroen dealer and they found the fault and repaired , within that price plus parts.

Sometimes the RAC/AA will do a scan , had them out on a vauxhall before and found the issue.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I reckon nearside front ABS sensor or the wiring are at fault as this is where the info for speedo is taken.
If you are anywhere near South London i have dealer level diagnostics for Vauxhalls upto 2010ish

Sometimes the RAC/AA will do a scan , had them out on a vauxhall before and found the issue.
I did the same used the RAC to recover me off the motorway and get me to my dads, then reported it as a breakdown to AA the next afternoon who did a diagnostic, turns out it was the EDU on the pump.

£50 is about right, but all it will tell you is that you have a ABS sensor failure and which one. Speedo will usually be a front sensor. They are easy to check with just a peizo (very sensitive) earphone. Basically they use three wires, +ve, -ve and sensor output pulse. With corner jacked up, so the wheel can be turned, if you connect earphone to the sensor, plus either other wire, you will here a click as the wheel is rotated, possibly 40 to 60 clicks for a full revolution. No speedo suggests absolutely no output, or a damaged wire to a sensor, but the clicks should be perfectly regular and evenly spaced as the wheel is rotated.

Our Diagnostic kit cost £2000, with £350 a year subscription for updates etc.

£50 sounds fine for a garage to do it (bearing in mind the cost of the equipment and the techs labour time).

Ford wanted £100+vat to pull my gearbox codes (bought the equipment myself to do that job).

ok troutybrown, I went somewhere else, (recommended by a few locals). They scanned then and there for £40.00.
They showed me lots of "red" on the machine showing several faults but I have to bring it in again for a day as two
machines were not "compatible" (my word not the garage").

I don't quite get it but they seem honest.

Alan

ok troutybrown, I went somewhere else, (recommended by a few locals). They scanned then and there for £40.00.
They showed me lots of "red" on the machine showing several faults but I have to bring it in again for a day as two
machines were not "compatible" (my word not the garage").

I don't quite get it but they seem honest.

Alan
Whereabouts are you

What's a good per hourly rate to pay at a garage? I think mine charge in the region of £50 - £60/hour

Sponsored Links
Back