The genius of Milliput: Saved the day!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Genius of Milliput:
Saved us £100's - and negates need for new immersion tank.

This is more of a report on a success rather than a request for help now.

Briefly:
1. Bought a new house: amongst many other problems, the thermostat kept failing in the immersion tank. (evidence of an on-going problem as there were 3 "dead ones" on the floor in cupboard).

2. So I "Bit the Bullet" and bought whole a new elements unit to replace old one.
(a kindly friend who is a truly clever builder/fixer/plumber/electrician offered to help)

3. Whilst trying to fit the new element unit - which has a brass head-shell - it simply wouldn't fit back into the (copper) housing in the top of the immersion tank: the thread of the (softer) copper had detoriated, and try as we might, we could get it back in and "catch the grooves" of the screw thread.

(We considered we'd have to buy a new immersion tank. ( copper, Indirect, 27 inch. Approx £300-£400)

4. "Forget That!" I thought, I'll force the head-shell around and it can self-tap into the soft copper. So, with liberal use of PTFE tape and careful turning. It went down and settled reasonably well. We filled the system again, and not surprisingly, the water seeped out of the housing.

5. One last idea: I remembered that Milllput had saved the day with another plumbing disaster once before. We did the same exercise, forcing the headshell of the unit down as far as it would go, then very carefully moulded Milliput around the headshell. Left it to set and crossed my fingers.

6. Turned off all the water into the tank and left it over-night.

7. Woke this morning, turned the water on, filled the tank. BINGO! Turned on the power for hot water. Still bone dry.

Please see photo attached.

I can see no reason why won't do for until we have the problem of having to replace the element? But we are in South Devon, so rather soft water environment. So should be fine for some years.

Any (sensible) views from out there?

http://www.scarlet-design.co.uk/myfiles/private/ImmersionTank_2869.jpg

Sponsored Links
good man yerself. not sure WRAS class it as a suitable material

It's not a Water Regulations approved material, so you shouldn't have used it

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid that the long-term success rate of 'wonder' sealants is not good. However, well done, you have got yourself out of a fix.

Did you put the new element washer in place before screwing it home?

If not, I suppose it's too late now?

http://www.unifit.co.uk/showdetails.php?code=JL9[/QUOTE]

Well, we did initially, but it got mashed up" during the many attempts to re-screw the housing back in. Seems fine without it, but will cause problems if we need to take the element out in the future I guess.

I'm sure it's not the end of the world. I doubt the OP plans to drink water from the hot tap...

No, but they'll probably breathe the steam when they take a shower...although I do admit the effect would probably be very minimal

Slightly over-cautious to say the least.
Do you know what Milliput is made of?
It's epoxy resin: like all epoxy material: once it's set, it becomes totally inert.

Of course if I was a professional plumber, charging money for this, it may be against regulations. But I'm fixing this myself!

I'm sure it's not the end of the world. I doubt the OP plans to drink water from the hot tap...

No, but they'll probably breathe the steam when they take a shower...although I do admit the effect would probably be very minimal

You don't work for the Health and Safety do you. Making a career out of every perceived risk, no matter how miniscule the POSSIBLE DANGER. ;)

Go into the centre of any major UK city, and take a deep breath. Much bigger risk.

Rather more likelihood of slipping in the soapy shower and doing themselves an injury that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back