The great slow down ...

bad drivers
Everyone is capable of bad driving.
Saw a fella in an early Beamer rip past us (on the inside) in Burton today. All guns blazing and snatching at the steering wheel for added drama when over/undertaking. As we approached the next island we saw the Beamer at 3 o'clock (we approached the island at 6 o'clock) with his front end on the raised traffic island and trying to reverse off wheels spinning. We all pointed and laughed as he quickly sped away - wheels spinning, no doubt embarrassed.

Could not work out why he was 3/4's of the way around the island with his front end wedged up the steep paved edge of the island though...:unsure:

Sponsored Links
Bristol introduced a 20 mph limit years ago. I just ignored it as do the majority, and carried on at 30 mph. 20 is too slow, I prefer 30 so I can get into 4th gear.

Certain makes of car are chosen by people who are not honest and decent.
Bit silly that statement. What is true though is that when you put a moron chav in anything with a bit of grunt, he becomes a more special moron.

Sponsored Links
Are you always a dick? This is a bloke who has been to far too many families to give the worst news; and knows way more than your google finger. His opinion or yours, mmm, let me take a nanosecond.
lets see some scientific data to back up your man in a pubs convenient opinion that people just bounce off at 30 but get killed at 20

let's see who's the dick

Bit silly that statement. What is true though is that when you put a moron chav in anything with a bit of grunt, he becomes a more special moron.

Makes you laugh when they blame it on the police for chasing them...

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
lets see some scientific data to back up your man in a pubs convenient opinion that people just bounce off at 30 but get killed at 20

let's see who's the dick
Even smart, dedicated experts need data to make that sort of statement with any hope of being right. Human minds are awful at analysing relative risk.

He might have done the number crunching, but that sort of counter intuitive result would be front page news.

wonderful that they are reducing speed limits, but they need to start enforcing it - hidden speed cameras and let councils keep the income.

we also need to start reducing the size and power of cars allowed on our roads.

I agree - rather than the 20mph being observed, what I now see is a very few observing the 20, the rest - some of whom would have observed the previous 30, are now just ignoring both limits and doing nearer 40. A mentality of if they are going to get done for ignoring a limit, they might just as well make it worth while.

There is an interesting computer simulation where traffic densities can be adjusted, to see the ripple effect, as 'driver' slow down to avoid the shrinking stopping instance effect. The ripple begins, as soon as you try to exceed a roads vehicle capacity. Increasing speeds does not necessarily increase the number of vehicles past a point, because the spacing between has increase too.

Mine will happily pull top at 20mph, but many will not. The bigger cause of pollution is the slowing down and speeding up, as you often get with speed bumps and congestion, steady progression causes minimum pollution and best MPG.
This link is probably the oldest favourite on my list:
It shows how leaving a gap decreases congestion. Its kind of counter intuitive, but it means that if you keep moving, you and others behind can regain your speed quicker. And you use less fuel, and cause less wear on your vehicle.

It is backed up with experiments and computer simulations as well.

whilst we await @rightCharlies documented evidence that being hit at 30mph is preferable to 20.
Let us also hope that said charlie can provide us with evidence that stopping distances at 30mph are less than at 20mph :rolleyes:

By definition figures aren't available for accidents that didn't happen, but common sense would suggest that the lower the speed in residential areas the more likely a vehicle/person collision would be avoided.

best excuse ever to drive fast

meanwhile the stats
  • at 40 mph there is a 90 percent chance they will be killed.
  • at 35 mph there is a 50 percent chance they will be killed.
  • at 30 mph there is a 20 percent chance they will be killed.
  • at 20 mph there is a 2.5 percent chance they will be killed.

Bounce off - LOL - oh look that one bounced over the hedge, I bet he enjoyed that, hope he didn't damage my car, it's my pride and joy.
Confusing free travelling speed with impact speed. You only have to look at the K & SI figures in urban roads to know this argument is flawed. off the top of my head... 40% of traffic exceed 30 mph limit, yet less than 3% of those hit are fatalities. If the above is a valid reason to reduce speed limits we’d expect K to be something like 10 times more than it is in 30 limits.

The last government tried to make exceeding the speed limit as socially unacceptable as drink driving. After 20 years of trying attitudes haven’t changed.

some believe the slower we all drive the less people will be killed others believe it’s the way we drive that is important. Looking properly and adapting to the conditions is way more important and not just for drivers. Cyclists and pedestrians also need to take responsibility for their safety and look.

Last edited:
Car makers went metric.

Can only agree - both of our cars (Honda's) the engines run @ 2000 RPM when doing 62MPH (100KPH) and the fuel usage is pretty good. That does seem to be a target RPM/vehicle speed combination across the whole Honda (ICE) car range (not sure on their hybrids).
The VW (golf 1.6 Diesel) I had previously rev'd/speed similarly.

My Beemer is doing about 1700 at 75mph. Most seem to have 8 speed gearboxes now.

Sponsored Links
Back