The impact of AI on the economy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder what the Government will do with the oncoming AI revolution and the impact it will have on the economy and workforce.

Mass unemployment or just the next economic wave like the Industrial revolution?

Sponsored Links
I recall being told in 1988 that 4GLs meant no more computer programmers, then again a few years later CASE would do the same. Then it was object oriented programming, then it was the internet, then it was low code, open source, now machine learning.

Yet tech companies still hire programmers and they still license the output. Microsoft already took over the world, ChatGPT is not going to make much difference.

A I will
Be the demise of the human race

According to many ?

Oh well ***t happens

I get fed up with it, they have been promising to dual the A1 for about the last 40 years - it will never happen. Can't see how it will affect the national economy though

Sponsored Links
All that will happen is the gap between those who have & those who have not will widen.

Because it is the only thing that has ever happened before . . . .

All that will happen is the gap between those who have & those who have not will widen.

Because it is the only thing that has ever happened before . . . .
I chuckled to myself last night when they discussed AI on Question Time. My first chuckle was listening to the panelists wax lyrical about how global policy and legislation needs to be in place to ensure no country uses AI for nasty stuff.

Ha Ha HAaaa, yeah, as if that'll happen.

My second chuckle was when someone on the panel said we need to ensure the same mistakes that were made with previous tech revolutions aren't made with AI, namely the need to ensure the market isn't dominated by big players who end up making the masses pay through the nose to access the tech.

Again, Ha Ha HAaaa, yeah, as if that'll happen.

I'm going to TELL you what will happen, the following is FACT.

AI will be used for good.
AI will be used for bad.
The serious end of the AI market will of course be dominated by the usual suspects.
People will get very very wealthy off the back of it.

I hope the robots do take over, I hope they do destroy humankind. Let's face it, we're not exactly great at managing the globe or the folk who live on it. Best we're obliterated.

I hope the robots do take over, I hope they do destroy humankind. Let's face it, we're not exactly great at managing the globe or the folk who live on it. Best we're obliterated.
There's a news article doing the rounds about how a drone was programmed with AI to seek & destroy a target. It destroyed the operator when the operator tried to cancel the mission . . . . Because the AI was programmed to also destroy any threat to the success of the mission.

It's a FAKE article that has been manipulated out of all proportion to its source.

AI CAN & WILL be used for good & it CAN & WILL be used for bad. What worries me most is stupid people will get their hands on it & unleash something unstoppable or irreversible . . . . !

You could say that for just about everything that has ever been invented.
Yes. So when they say "we promise we won't" or make new laws to stop AI being used that way . . . . We will all know that it won't make even a slight difference to how it's used won't we . . . Because it never has for anything else ever.

Here's a good analogy . . . . .

I take out my gun & shoot you in the head, bang you dead. There are laws to stop me doing this yet nothing to physically prevent me doing it.

An AI gun can be programmed to shoot you in the head & it doesn't need anyone to pull the trigger. It needs a 'rule' that it cannot shoot you in the head, but how could such a rule work?

That's not an analogy.
The aims and abilities are set by the programmer and the system connected.
A robot that hoovers the carpet can't start shooting people, because it doesn't have a gun. We're a very long way from a bit of software deciding it needs a gun and making or getting one.
The danger that we're facing now is predominately via the internet. An AI system can potentially do anything that can be done on the internet. That's bad enough, it's not limited by anyone.

Militarily, it's not near making a qualitative difference. Autonomous destructive things have been functional for decades.

I heard the QT question. Not one of the responders had the first clue.

I still maintain that one of the most important contributions of AI will be at NASA: helping inform a new generation of space probes in gathering samples and new information from Mars. Maybe, one day, building the first colonies on the planet. Who can say where new technology will go from our perspective in history?

Most of that'll surely be engineering development. Don't forget AI is only software.

Most of that'll surely be engineering development. Don't forget AI is only software.
Yes it is, although AI software will be incorporated into the design, surely?
Smart homes; smart cars, smart this-and-that.
I have an uncomfortable feeling my fridge may be smarter than me sometime in the future. :cautious:

Sponsored Links
Back