Lifelike droids, AI etc ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm being semi-serious in posting this. I'm 48, so 22 years until I'm 70. Whilst that's not considered old these days, it might be the approx. time when I start to feel a degree of isolation e.g. retired, don't have any immediate family of my own etc.

So, I'm wondering how much more this sort of thing (see link) will have progressed by then. In addition, I'm wondering how good AI solutions will be, giving those on their own a semblance of company, whether bundled with a droid or software that simply runs on devices.

This discussion nearly always gets the same response from people, that response being 'find a real human to talk to!!!' and whilst that's perhaps nearly always the ideal solution, it isn't always possible for everyone for a number of reasons. That's where I think droids, AI etc will start to come into their own in years to come.

Makers of Sophia the robot reveal plans to produce THOUSANDS of lifelike bots by the end of 2021 | Daily Mail Online

Sponsored Links
My guess is AI's promise is much like unmeterable electricity from fusion. Always 10 Years away.

Machine learning just goes to show that human beings are depressingly formulaic. I'd be surprised if chat bots, running on the future equivalent of an Amazon Echo can't pass the Turing test in 20 years.

Will they have enough personality to build a relationship with you? Pass, given the way some people get attached to cars I doubt it would need much complexity.

Sponsored Links
Is this thread leading up to THIS? :sneaky:
Meet the UK version...

wiidecombe.jpg

Is this thread leading up to THIS? :sneaky:
Literally lol however I can say with some confidence, NO! I'm not against what anyone wants to do in life as long as it's not illegal, whatever floats your boat etc, but when I see these CH5 docs about men/woman that buy the life size silicon dolls, I just think 'eh no, not for me.'

If the AI became sufficiently advanced why would it want to talk to us?

This is a significant problem that is yet to be resolved.

Essentially AI will reach human level intelligence and then surpass it so quickly that we can only really hope to tag along for the ride - it might be extremely good, it might be extremely bad!

Sponsored Links
Back