Drill driver, impact driver, voltage etc...I'm confused.com!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again

Excuse me for being such a noob...!

After getting suggestions and advice for a jigsaw, I'm now thinking about my drilling requirements.

I already have a hammer drill, albeit quite a cheapie JCB. It's this one here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JCB-1010W-Corded-Hammer-JCBD-HD1010F/dp/B000RB4HGA

and to be honest, for the small amount of DIY I do it has been serving me well. But that's all I've got, and I've used it in the past for putting screws in as well. I know it's not ideal for that, and is quite heavy and cumbersome, so I'm thinking about getting me a cordless drill but don't really know where to start. What voltage should I get, how much should I look to spend (I'm on a budget having just moved house), impact driver vs drill driver, etc. etc. and anything else I haven't thought about.

So unless anyone says the JCB is absolute sh!t and should be thrown away immediately, I was looking to keep it for any heavy duty type of work, and get a cordless for lighter/occasional drilling and screwdriving.

Incidentally, I play guitar as well and do a lot of guitar maintenance for myself and other people. I've always just used plain old screwdrivers, but I'm hoping I'll be able to use the cordless once I get it.

So with all that in mind, if anyone has the time to a) finish reading it, and b) offer any advice and suggestions, I'd hugely appreciate it.

Cheers all

Max

Sponsored Links
One of the lithium 10.8v drill/drivers would suit you well. Lots to choose from so depends on budget really. AEG, Bosch, Ryobi all good.

Watch out for long 3-5 hours charge times on cheaper models, get one with 2 batteries if necessary.

Impacts are ferocious and for more lots of heavy duty screwing like decking for example.

Do not use power tools on a guitar! Stick with a good selection of decent screwdrivers instead. One second lapse of concentration can mess up holes, slip and scratch, chew heads etc.

The JCB is **** but as it's serving you well then I don't recommend chucking it out. You'll probably get quite a few more years out of it for basic DIY stuff.

JCB should stick to making diggers! Hate it when well known brands try to venture into another market using their name to get places.

Sponsored Links
Get one of these I have one it's one of the best tools I ever bought. Whenever I am working with my mate he dives straight in to my tool box for it every time.

As Deluks says " Don't use any power tools on guitars. (especially expensive ones) One slip could cost you a respray at the luthiers. ;) ;) ;)

That package of the two Ryobi's at B and Q is now £55..... Seems a good price.....

Anyone got anything negative to say about those drills?

Could I get rid of the JCB if I had those 2? Would they have enough grunt, or would I need to keep the JCB for more heavy duty masonry work, etc.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back