Hire car dispute

If they get iffy, mention the small claims court to them. You could also tell them you are going to write to one of the money columns in the broadsheets; they love hire care woe stories and contact the company concerned to chase up the complaint.

I used to hire vans a lot and was wise to this.

I once picked up a van and the guy asked me to sign the form without seeing the vehicle. I went out to compare the vehicle to the marks noted on the doc.

The worried hire guy followed me out.

"What about this?" I asked, pointing to a huge rusty gash along the sill.

"Erm...."

By the time I had finished, I had marked every tiny blemish on the van on the form; it looked like the van had chicken pox.

You have to keep your wits about you.

I have got scammed though. Hired a car once from a guy dealing from a home address; a bit dodgy, I know. When it came to coming back, I knew he had requested a full tank, so made sure it was brimmed to the top of the neck at a garage less than half a mile away.
Had to drop it off at his house on Sunday, but he wasn't there, so I took photos of the car from all angles (35mm film in those days!).
Dropped a note through his door saying I had photographed the car on leaving and would not be held responsible for any subsequent damage and that I had brimmed the tank.

Unfortunately, I did not take a picture of the brimmed tank.

On Monday morning, I got a call from him saying he had billed me for £15 worth of petrol (it was a 3rd gen. 1989 Fiesta, which probably took about £15's worth to fill up!)

Wasn't worth fighting, but boy I was annoyed!

Sponsored Links
The refilling scam is a good one for the hirers. Friend worked for one of the big hire co.s and he was measured on his rentals of child seats , sat navs and how much he could invoice for refuelling. Another friend had a hire car damaged in Sardinia and was amazed how little he was charged for a sizeable dent, about £135.

You didn't mention why you just dropped the car back without getting it inspected, but as they failed to inspect the car upon it's return, and didn't check it till the next day, they can't prove that the damage was done whilst in your care.

Do you have legal cover on your motor policy, as they'll fight the case for you.

The reason the car wasn't inspected at the time is because I collected and returned it at a repair centre but the car belonged to a different company. They delivered and collected it at different times. This was convenient and clearly how they often do this sort of thing. The repair centre appeared to want nothing to do with the car as they just handed me the keys.

My main concern is they have my card details as there was a fuel service charge of £15 so I could return it with less fuel in. This didn't seem to be optional and indeed the paperwork was marked with the amount of fuel to be left in the vehicle (about an eighth less than it was delivered with). So they could take the £250 any time (though they'd have to ask me what my insurance excess is first if they don't already know).

If they ever get back to me with details and evidence I'm still fighting it. My main defence will be that I never signed for the car to acknowledge the condition it was delivered or returned in.

Sponsored Links
That's why I suggested bunging them a few £ to go away . Saves all the grief and worry.

Can you also do a chargeback at the bank if they do this?

Having your credit card details is always the hold they have over you. You'll need to advise them that should they attempt to apply any charges to the card, then you will take them to the small claims court to recover not only the money but costs for your time as well, and that you will publicise the action at the same time; they may not want the adverse publicity. They haven't followed their procedures, so they'll be on a sticky wicket legally, but they might try and just railroad you.

Back