Drive-off Tw*ts

dont you have NCB protection ? which is well worth the extra

Yeah right. :rolleyes:

I had 4 years protected NCB. I had an accident and made a claim.

When I went to renew my policy it had shot up. The insurers said it was because I have made a claim I'm now more of a risk, so the policy has gone up.

What was the point of paying them even more money for protecting my NCB, if when I make a claim it goes up anyway. I might as well have just lost my NCB.

I'm no longer with LIVERPOOL VICTORIA. The robbing b-stards.

Sponsored Links
Well those of you who were here a year or two ago will know exactly why I don't have any no-claims, it's because I've only been driving again since November for reasons I don't feel the need to revisit.

I'm having the work done without going through the insurance for just that reason - although one of the quotes said they could do it for £250 (ie they'd pay half of my £500 excess), they did also advise me that my insurance would probably go up 20%.

Simple maths - the true cost of that is now £250 plus 20% of £600 (£120) plus the loss of 1 years NCB @ 10% (£60) = £430, then I'd be 1 year behind with the build-up of NCB which is more complicated than I care to work out over 7 years, but it makes the price I'm paying privately (£489) look like the best option by far.

The thing which has surprised me most about the situation though, is that if you're not in my exact situation (ie you do have protected no-claims), I would recommend accepting a higher excess in return for a lower annual premium - because a lot of the repairers I spoke to were happy to pay ALL of the excess in return for getting the job (assumedly they add it to the bill to your insurer), but only in the event of a "non-fault" claim - which sadly I couldn't do not having the details of the perpetrator.

Trouble is if you go through the insurance, they could insist you take it to one of their "approved repair centres"

Trouble is if you go through the insurance, they could insist you take it to one of their "approved repair centres"
They might try to hoodwink you into thinking this, Steve, but the law is that it's your car and you can have it repaired wherever you want - look it up. I'll try to find a link for you.

Sponsored Links
Ninebob,

Hope your repair work turns out OK.
Even though you are having the repairs done privately, you may like to think about informing your insurance company, as the first question asked on renewal is " Has there been any incidents in the last year". Note incidents, not claims. This is often buried in the small print, especially if you go for automatic renewals.

If you don't inform them, and have reason to claim for a later incident, they may refuse cover if it comes to light about the previous incident.
They will use any excuse to avoid paying out.

They might try to hoodwink you into thinking this, Steve, but the law is that it's your car and you can have it repaired wherever you want - look it up. I'll try to find a link for you.
Indeed you can, however....

fell foul of this whilst living not far from your incident ninebob (newmarket road)

Came out of the house (disturbed late at night) to find a yob dancing on my car...followed them, and called plod to report it. Nothing doing until I told them I was just about to hit the f*cker!..anyway, after a now rapid response ( ;) ), the upshot was if I wanted to claim the damages personally it would be much better (and financially rewarding) than going through the courts...and the cops gave me his address!

Got the money back, and used my regular garage to repair the damage.. but on renewal found the p*gs had reported the 'incident' and my premium had gone up due to not having used 'approved repair facilities' due to 'reported incident'!... :evil:

Back