Drive-off Tw*ts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am gutted tonight.

You'll know from my recent posts that I've never spent much on cars until this one - it was still only £2000 but it's the most I've ever spent and it (was) mint for it's year and "my baby".

Unfortunately living in Brighton means that I can't park outside my home. A resident's permit is £120 a year, which is stupid money but I'd be happy to pay - but the council have decided to only allow one permit per property. I happen to rent a room above a pub - so obviously the landlord has the one parking permit (3 lodgers - none of us are allowed one) and I have to park a mile away where it's free. These streets are quite narrow (Queens Park / Elm Grove area for anyone who might know Brighton).

So having parked up sensibly on Sunday night, I returned to the car today to find it had been - for want of a better word - b*ggered right down one side. Front wing, side indicator (gone), mirror, both doors, and rear wing - all b*ggered.

From the white paint that I've spent all day trying to T-cut out (my car is black) I can only assume that a white car, or most probably van, tried to get down the street and just kept on going when he realised it didn't fit.

God knows what it'll cost to fix, but I know I can't afford it. Another 7 polishing sessions might make it look better but it won't help the bits that are bent. Fortunately none of the damage affects the driveability of the car (other than the indicator repeater which I will have to replace ASAP because it's probably not legal without it)

My insurance is fully comprehensive, and had it been a known accident out on the road with another vehicle I'd be fine (claim off the perpetrator) but as it stands if I claimed I'd lose my NCB and have to pay £500 which is my excess.

I guess my insurance would probably go up 10% as well for claiming. So - I'm going to get a quote for the repair, using a formula - My excess (£500) plus the loss of my NCB (£60) plus a 10% increase on my premium (£60). Ergo, if I can get it fixed for £620 I won't tell Zurich, otherwise I will. Either way it's expensive...

But really, what kind of a c*nt bashes your car overnight and doesn't leave their details?

Very, very annoyed Simon x

Sponsored Links
The type that drinks at the pub you live in then uses a rat run half tanked on the way home. I made a post a week ago about the number of battered cars I see around the place these days. Modern life I'm afraid.

I would have thought something getting b#ggered in Brighton on a saturday night was not an unusual occurence

Norty norty. Look at his user name. ;)

Sponsored Links
Norty norty.

is that some kind of code joe?

graeme_norton_egg_bacon.jpg

i know the area,done a lot of work in brighton over the years,worked on the student accommodation in southover street(opposite the level)parked my van in a pub carpark and some basta*d broke into it and nicked a load of tools(in broad daylight)of course no one saw it,also had wing mirrors knocked off and dents etc,put it down too the narrow streets and the gits in company vans who dont give a tos*.

If you know someone who does bodywork you might get it done cheap.
T-Cutting it out will hopefully remove any paint left by the other vehicle and make it less obvious.
You might pick up a cheap indicator on ebay, what make of car is it?

Well remembered, Simon!

The type that drinks at the pub you live in then uses a rat run half tanked on the way home. I made a post a week ago about the number of battered cars I see around the place these days. Modern life I'm afraid.
Sadly you're almost certainly right Joe.

And I guess it answers your question about seeing so many damaged cars around - the simple truth is that with the price of everything now, I had to accept a £500 excess to get vaguely affordable insurance, so depending on the quote I'm probably better off not claiming, and the damage will just have to stay until I can afford the work.

Update - had 3 quotes, as is the best way with everything...

Remember I'm fully comp but have a £500 excess.

Garage 1 - (backstreet in Brighton, shirtless man when I turned up, his son (about 14) kicking around): looked at the car for all of 3 minutes, took no details and quoted me £350.

Garage 2 - a telephone quote: had no interest in doing a private job but insisted that if I put it through the insurance he'd "negotiate" with them and pay half the excess. So, my bill £250 but face the increase next year and the loss of the NCB I've built up (no doubt he'd bill Zurich £1000+ for the repair)

Garage 3 - Looked the car up and down, took the reg and chassis number to get the right part and paint numbers from Honda and said he'd call me back later. 45 minutes when I'd just got home he rang and said he could do it for £489.

I've gone for number 3 - the most expensive but in my mind the most professional by a long chalk.

It wasn't until he phoned back that I realised what a mistake I'd have made if I'd gone for number 1, who didn't even make the enquiry towards how much a new wing would be, not to mention the pearlescent paint.

My Grandfather - who, bless him, has lent me the money - is a wise man: he said, "a cheap job is never good, and a good job is never cheap".

I will take before and after pics and get back to you!

the cheapest insurance is not the best either ! £500 excess seems a bit steep ( mine is £200 ) and dont you have NCB protection ? which is well worth the extra, but I think you have to have 4 years driving before before you can take advantage

simon,

that sounds par for the course around there. who is doing the work for you?

Sounds like that quote was very reasonable, to me, I'm glad you got sorted out, I think similar things have happened to a lot of us, it is exceedingly annoying.

The work is being done by Auto Body Care Centre on Ditchling Rise.

I forgot to take a photo of the damage before it went in, unfortunately. I'm expecting to have the car back tomorrow afternoon, hopefully they'll have done a good job.

Sponsored Links
Back