Car Doors

You know, all this begs the question, why are cars so fragile? One car so much as touches another, and its a £300 repair! The glass in my windscreen is tougher than the bodywork around it! :confused:

Anyway,

Photo0055.jpg

dent on the edge of the door. its not focused right though - it was getting dark.
Photo0059.jpg

scuffs above wheel arch - one is from a previous incident.

Sponsored Links
The reason is that modern paint finishes on motors are not half as durable as they used to be. Paints are now water-based, which is great for the planet but means that the paint surface is not as durable as it was.

Sponsored Links
well i have washed the car this afternoon, and after plenty of elbow grease, i have to say the dent is not half as noticeable now. The paint surface isnt really damaged as such, its just dented the panel.

The one above the wheel arch though is scratched, and needs touching up. But this was the smaller of the two marks and i think i'll leave it for now.

well i have washed the car this afternoon, and after plenty of elbow grease, i have to say the dent is not half as noticeable now.

Just you wait till the sun shines boyo, particularly when it catches it in the right direction. :p

In 2001 I bought a new Bmw convertible and during the second week I had it some kids threw a HOUSE BRICK off a bridge one sunny day as I drove past with the roof down :evil:

When i pulled over I was suprised how un-damaged it was as it sounded horrible.

satnav006.jpg

satnav005.jpg

satnav004.jpg

satnav003.jpg

The cost to replace the plastic panel was a lot cheaper than if it had gone on the bootlid :eek:

.....yeah i bought this late model Renault and was gutted when the wife put a dent in the rear quarter. If you look carefully you can just see the damage........

3616425747_24a52799ea.jpg

In 2001 I bought a new Bmw convertible and during the second week I had it some kids threw a HOUSE BRICK off a bridge one sunny day as I drove past with the roof down :evil:

When i pulled over I was suprised how un-damaged it was as it sounded horrible.

satnav006.jpg

satnav005.jpg

satnav004.jpg

satnav003.jpg

The cost to replace the plastic panel was a lot cheaper than if it had gone on the bootlid :eek:

F**K!! THat was so close to your head. Kin idiots.

You know, all this begs the question, why are cars so fragile?
2 reasons
1 = the steel used now is much thinner than what we used in the 80's/early 90's. the french are particularly fond of making bodywork out of really thin gauge mild steel.
2 = the way panels are pressed has changed. basically, the steel is now stretched into a shape as opposed to being forced into shape.

One of my HATES too :evil: There is a simple answer by the Friggin` Supermarkets themselves.....MAKE THE POXY SPACES WIDER :rolleyes: . The freaking beuaracrat who decreed that`s what size the space should be ...needs tying spread out to the four corners of a space and pelted with detritus by shoppers.

Some councils in London make spaces on the road wide enough, it's sometimes impossible to park in the lines.

And then the warden comes round and sticks a ticket on your windscreen.

:evil:

Oh aye! I see you're one of these who just opens your car door onto someone else's car Mw! :LOL: :LOL:

You know, with this 'Where's there's blame there's a claim' society and the size of car park spaces, I think we should launch a campaign for bigger spaces and/or claims against the car park owners for damage caused due to the spaces not being fit for purpose. That and knock the lights out of the git that 'doors' your car! :evil:

You know, all this begs the question, why are cars so fragile?
2 reasons
1 = the steel used now is much thinner than what we used in the 80's/early 90's. the french are particularly fond of making bodywork out of really thin gauge mild steel.
2 = the way panels are pressed has changed. basically, the steel is now stretched into a shape as opposed to being forced into shape.
I'm guessing so that the car are lighter for more mpg? And maybe softer impact in an accident?

Sponsored Links
Back