alarm to protect car parking area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i dont live in the best of areas and recently someone vandalised the bonnet of my car, it is parked on a small drive way but is a little distance from my back door, what i would like to do is have a censor that would protect the 3 open sides of where the car is parked (the fourth side is next doors garage wall), is this possible?, wirless would be good but not essential and also i could have the alarm go of in the house or outside. any ideas?

Oh IF necessary i can have a mains supply run up to this area.

Sponsored Links
Call the expert ;)
This company is very well known is our area, Kent but they go all over UK
Ask for Clive Gawler and give him my regards

I will tell him of!! Only this monring at networkmeeting he told all of us he worked everywhere!
Sorry about this.

Sponsored Links
There's been a thread on 'electrocute the burglar' and the general opinion was don't. How about using the mains to power PIR floodlights?

Someone has told me that u could electrify the car because the rubber tyres would insulate it, how would you do this hypotically..........

if i could also electrify my gates that would be fantastic, nothing to hbigh a voltage, just enough to give people a shock!, this is all hypophetical of course (bad spelling i know!)

I believe you can get proximity alarms that you can fit to a vehicle. I don't know of a supplier and suspect that they will be very expensive.

You could use the infrared beam technology that they use around large industrial machines as safety interlocks and link these to a simple sounder/light combination. This would be fairly cheap. The problem with any sort of 'field' around the car is that the little yobs in the area would soon catch on and you would be plagued with false alarms, likewise with animals breaking the beam.

to protect anything outside as has been said you should use Active infra red beams, units are made which are "double banked" which means that birds etc can not set them off, nor can wind and other natural elements which is why quite a few places have them

similar to

AX250PLUS.jpg

(this is only a set of twin beams, not a tower)

how ever any yob with a hammer can break them, best thing build a garage

Breezers solution is the only legal one mentioned here. The cheaper alternative is to install a motion activated light.

If you start to electrify car bonnets, gates, metal fences or anything without proper precautions, notices and other related mandatory precautions then you WILL be prosecuted should you electrocute someone.

I was in a motorbike shop and I saw a shotgun alarm! It's a little gizmo into which you put a blank shotgun cartridge after you have fixed it to something solid. Then you fix a length of fishing line from the trigger to your bike and when someone trips the line the cartridge goes off. I thought it was quite a good idea at the time, but then I though about the consequences of putting the wrong sort of cartridge in it!

My mother had a similar problem with kids hanging around her place nothing too problematic just sitting on her bonnett leaving loads of mess by her carport. I set her up a little web cam sort of thing that plugs in the back of the tele or video, if you want to record.
Was quite impressed by the picture even at night under street lights it had sound as well.
They **** themselves when she went out told them to bugger off and told them what they had been doing and saying for the last 15minutes, probably thought she was a witch or something.
The thing was only about 20 quid

I have looked in to a seperate alarm system, which is far to expensive, i have therefore thought about using my current system, have just brought an additional sensor which is wirefree, i have checked the operating distance and its ok where its going, its only going to be operated at night, so should it work outside?, and could i put in a clear perspex cover to keep it dry?

might be a bit of a pan in the arse when it keeps getting set off by the neighbourhood cats

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back