The Juke Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ah... I love music...

*spins* Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up */spins*

So, just post here what we're listening to so we get an idea of musical tastes, etc., maybe it will encourage discussion.

Worked a treat for well over a year now at politicsforum.org

Sponsored Links
ZenStalinist said:
Ah... I love music...

My immediate reaction to reading this was to follow it up with "any kind of music..."

just as long as it's happy!

Showing your age there SS (O'jays - 1974?)

anything by the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band or the Barron Knights

Sponsored Links
I'm listening to some Johnny Cash at the moment.

"Daddy Sang Bass" to be precise.

To quote Mr Cash, "Momma sang tenor". I am having some trouble believing this seeing as contralto is the lowest standard female vocal range, with a lowest note of F2. The tenor vocal range starts at B1, a whole octave and a half LOWER than contralto.

However, the highest tenor note is G3, so there is an overlap of slightly more than one octave. Just enough to sing a recognisable tune but certainly not enough to allow "Momma" to sing a range that would be identified as tenor. Pavorotti and chums need not worry for their jobs are safe.

Wait a tick, I'm pretty sure Johnny Cash was a baritone anyway. Hence the bit where he sings "Daddy sang bass" (and you can hear him straining to hit the lowest note, the word "Daddy"), he will almost certainly be singing in a part of the register covered by baritone... he most certainly is not singing what could unambiguously be termed as bass. JD Sumner (Elvis' chum, previously the singer of the lowest note in recording history, could sing a double low C) also need not fear for his job. If he was alive.

This song is a farce and makes no sense. Who would think such a thing from Country and Western?!?! :rolleyes:

AdamW said:
This song is a farce and makes no sense.

That's because actually, it was a reference to Cash's one and only (failed) attempt at fishing.

"Daddy Sank Bass", but it got altered along the way.

OK, 1/10, I'll get my upper body outdoor garment.

Hey Zen* .... You sound older than you look... sometimes ;)

Cannot beat the sound of silence !! ;)

securespark said:
"Daddy Sank Bass",

Or perhaps his father was a man from the north of England:

"Daddy drank Bass (and mamma drank Tenant's)."

Sponsored Links
Back