The "logic" of a client...

It's not worth putting into small claims, as by the time that goes through the system, she'll have paid; or if it gets there before she pays, she won't pay anything until the last possible minute, I would assume.
Terms of seven days are utterly reasonable, and the six months has nothing to do with anything.

Simply tell the woman that you'll be adding an administrative charge for paying later than 7 days. Anywhere between £10 and £25 would be reasonable. You then have something to pursue (optionally) at court if she pays late. You might choose never to do so, but you have up to six years to make your mind up, and you could send her a letter to ensure that she spends the next six years wondering...

Sponsored Links
And its also reasonable for her to expect the bill to be presented within a certain time of completion of the job.

It was not
As such the payment conditions has to be a 2 way street.

If you want to demand payment within 7 days that's fine as long as the
payment is asked for within a reasonable time of completion.

It was not.

As such it is only reasonable for the customer to delay payment until it is also reasonable for them to pay.

Just wait till the end of the month for it!

Clearly it's preferable from a cashflow pov, but, other than that, I did the work for which I was instructed, with payment on a seven day basis from date of invoice. The timing of the invoice is irrelevant.

However, be that as it may, in the post today was her cheque, she was as good as her word, so that's that sorted and I can refill the biscuit barrel :LOL:.

waaaayyyyy!

You can eat now.... I hope its going to be with chocolate hobnobs :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Typical.

Maryland Choc Chips for the engineers, Tesco value rich-tea for the rest of us

:evil:

Hi Shytalkz,

Read your post with interest as the same thing has happened to me (once !)

I just accepted that the 'fault' was principally mine, and that the customer had every right to pay me within the same time as it'd taken me to issue their invoice .....

Taught me to get my admin in order and a salutory lesson in sloppiness on my behalf.

In the end, they payed within the month, as they too had to get money from an interest-bearing account.

As I am now, most of my customers actively chase me for my invoices and pay me within 24 hours, or immediately if they're in when I drop off the bill. Seemingly, its very difficult to get a good 'all-trades' handyman and they want to keep me "sweet", so to speak ....... Makes my life w hole lot easier :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back