The Middle East Revisited

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just logged on to find the Middle East topic completely removed, unable to be reinstated and the post asking about it locked. If I were more cynical...... :confused:

I thought there were some very interesting contributions from johnny-t, pickles, empip, BAS and others. Its especially topical at the moment and an area of the world that has significant repercussions for the rest of the world.

I would still be interested to hear others perspectives on this issue.

If people spoil the topic why not just delete their posts and if they continually troll then ban them?

Sponsored Links
if it's in the public domain..which it is ,it should be debated in a democratic fashion....(unless)?

One of the mods accidently deleted the entire topic instead of a couple of bad posts by mistake, it wasnt intended to kill the entire topic.

I missed the end of the topic, so didn't see how it panned out, but I have though of a couple of further things to add into the mix.

As mentioned before, because of their situation, Israel has always adopted the sort of 'stab us once and we stab you back fifty times' attitude that we see here. It may seem disproportionate, but everyone knows that is what is going to happen and attacks are often made deliberately to provoke that sort of response and escalate the crisis.

With regards to Gaza, you have the problem that mortars are being fired from the backyards in very densely populated residential neighbourhoods. A news story saying that two houses have been destroyed and 8 people killed sounds horrific to us, but to them it is seen as a remarkable success for precision targetting. Compare it to the US-style response in Iraq, where whole villages would be flattened in the hope of getting one or two baddies, and it puts it into context.

A similar situation exists with the security wall. It is only a wall in areas where there is a history of shots being fired from villages at cars on highways. It is unpopular with most Israelis too, as it effectively reinforces the idea of there being a border between Israel and Palestine, which will eventually lead to separation.

The normal people of Israel, Lebanon, Palestine etc. do not have any great animosity towards each other. Israel's gameplan at the moment is to make life inconvenient for the Lebanese in the hope that they will get sick of and flush out the Hezbollah. The great risk is of course that it goes the other way. I know a Lebanese bloke, so I will try to get his viewpoint on it all and report back.........

Sponsored Links
I was working for a old couple a few years ago...The old boy was reading about Gaza and telling his mrs...¬kin ell I thought .......deja vu for today :eek: Thought someting had kicked off then.......but the old fool was talking about GAZZA :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how to put this without it sounding racist but, I sometimes wonder if part of the problem in the middle east has to do with the macho culture in arab society where if you are confronting your enemy any concession is seen as a weakness. The Israeli's certainly believe this and part of their policy is to never show any sign of backing down or attempting to negotiate unless they have already won

This makes them the same as their enemies because they can't or wont talk to them and makes it impossible to create a situation where anyone can give some ground without it encouraging the other side to push harder

America is footing the bill.

We are heading towards a new type of cold war where America uses Isreal as an ally against the forces of Islamic expansionism and nation building in the area. The question will be whether Iran will ever feel strong enough to directly confront Israel, with or without arab allies in the area. If they do will America step in.

With 212 nuclear warheads and an itchy finger Israel don't need anyone's help. They could turn Iran into a large glass boating lake anytime they wish.

Trouble is .. If fanatics get hold of device(s) ( they surely must at some time ) Israel is not a large country, it would not require hundreds of nukes to screw them totally suitcase dirty devices may replace the SB of today... How bad would it become before the powerbase hot footed it to the USA?
Perhaps there is actually no intention to demolish Israel.. Just to keep the pot simmering and make it a grind to live there .. one life is all we get.
:(

The problem any arab country has with using nukes on Israel is that they want the land back, it wouldn't be much use after they nuke it.

Israel wouldn't feel the same about eg, Damascus so in a way they have an advantage.

Sponsored Links
Back