The minefield of Kitchen worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I have got a new kitchen im looking to do and just not sure about worktops

Has anyone had the issue of Granite/Quartz being too high price wise and having to seek a composite option?

I really think I'll be spending about 8-10k here on the whole project so I'd rather not use laminate as much as its not bad now days I just think it will look poor.

Apollo Magna looks like a good composite option, has anyone used/worked with these and got any opinions?

Sponsored Links
I am in a similar position torn by what work top to order. Where have you been looking for yours? I have been told to avoid the major names and find a smaller local supplier which should knock the price down quite a bit.

Spending a lot on a decent kitchen and finishing off with a laminate work top doesn’t make sense to me but the price difference is a lot.

Chinese and Indian granite is actually cheaper than solid surface - it sort of knocked the bottom out of that market more than 10 years ago. A couple of other alternatives might be solid wood or concrete/resin over plywood.

I reckon that if you are going to opt for very expensive work-tops you also need to consider just how long you are prepared to live with them. Consider the wear on glossy finishes as well as carless kids and stuff like that.

Its not all about what your mates have got.

Sponsored Links
Glossy worktops - bane of every kitchen fitter's life! They always, but always, make problems for the supplier because customers just don't listen. Glad I no longer fit kitchens to make a crust! (at least not regularly)

I am in a similar position torn by what work top to order. Where have you been looking for yours? I have been told to avoid the major names and find a smaller local supplier which should knock the price down quite a bit.

Spending a lot on a decent kitchen and finishing off with a laminate work top doesn’t make sense to me but the price difference is a lot.

I certainly will source them myself.

Unfortunately we havn't got any children yet, but yes, I would certainly not want to be buying granite thats susceptible in the future.

This is one of the ones i've been looking into is Apollo https://www.screwfix.com/p/apollo-magna-vellum-worktop-3050-x-600-x-34mm/76548 It's 6MM a composite/veneer. I'm reckoning (out on a limb) it's 30-40% less than Quartz/Granite and has the added benefit of being able to do decent cut outs (sink draining etc), apparently you can also do cut off corners and apply a kit.

Or Slabtech which is solid and is a "cheaper corian" according to some of the blurb.

Absolute minefield looking for something, I think it will be easier for the fitter to fit it.....(I certainly won't be on worktops lol)

Watching this thread with interest, as we are in the same boat.

In a previous house we spent the money on a high end laminate, and were pretty happy with the way it looked. The technology has come on a lot, and you can get some pretty good looking laminate if you go beyond what the sheds offer.

Although willing to pay more if there is a benefit, and it is a real minefield of made up terminology and glossy videos, so until you trek looking at them all, it's really difficult to know what to pick!

Unfortunately it does need shop visits for sure in this part renovation. Wickes do Apollo magna so will probably pop down there if I can

Well let me save you a visit. Plasman worktops, specifically their Artis Bohemian Chrome in Snow (white).

The tops lift and drop randomly and the company ignore e-mails which reminds me, I need to call in there.
B843E244-37AC-4BDE-89DF-B9616147D18E.jpeg

Well let me save you a visit. Plasman worktops, specifically their Artis Bohemian Chrome in Snow (white).

The tops lift and drop randomly and the company ignore e-mails which reminds me, I need to call in there.
View attachment 156679

Jeez I'd be cutting that off and taking it up there...thats a laminate here ?

I think a lot of efforts in the industry has gone into the resin alternatives as granite that got such a rep for being expensive and the premium option for people budgeting not with money coming out of there earholes.

I bit the bullet and went for Quartz. Cost as much as the units again, so 7k total for a largish kitchen with island (no appliances). I justified it as since I'm doing everything myself (except for fitting the worktop) I saved enough money to offset the worktops. The other option would have been solid wood, which is much cheaper.

I reckon that if you are going to opt for very expensive work-tops you also need to consider just how long you are prepared to live with them. Consider the wear on glossy finishes as well as carless kids and stuff like that.

Its not all about what your mates have got.

The sad thing is that laminate for a kitchen worktop is one of the best surfaces: long lasting, easy to maintain. But its out of fashion.

Granite looks great when super clean, but the smooth gloss finish shows up water marks and the gloss reflects under cabinet lighting.

Wood -I wouldnt have it, I couldnt be bothered to be wiping it dry every single time the sink is used

Wood -I wouldnt have it, I couldnt be bothered to be wiping it dry every single time the sink is used
I do have it in my own kitchen (solid beech), and as you say it takes a bit of care. I also still maintain a half dozen or so solid wood worktops from the days when I was installing kitchens more regularly because people can't be arrissed to keep on top of them.

I had solid oak for 8 years. Looking pretty awful by the end - didn't oil it as often as I should. But it's good to know that it's easy to sand back and refinish no matter how bad it gets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back