The minefield of Kitchen worktops

laminate for a kitchen worktop is one of the best surfaces: long lasting, easy to maintain.
Correct. All the other stuff is just fadd-ish.

Wood - not in a million years. Should never be used as a surface to prepare food.

Sponsored Links
Wood - not in a million years. Should never be used as a surface to prepare food.
Why ever not? Wood was traditionally used for chopping boards partly because many species have natural anti-bacterial properties. It's still used in butchers' shops for their chopping blocks

...it's good to know that it's easy to sand back and refinish no matter how bad it gets.
They will generally come right with a combination of scrapers and belt sander. Iron stains (in oak, mahogany and walnut) can often be taken out with judicious use of oxallic acid. The worst problems I've seen are at the worktop/upstand joint and around Belfast sinks where in really bad cases you will sometimes see signs of rot

Sponsored Links
There was some rot around the sink area. I suspect with a better choice of sink/detailing that would have been avoided.

I'd take real wood over grotty cheap looking laminate any day.

;)
There was some rot around the sink area. I suspect with a better choice of sink/detailing that would have been avoided.
I've found that some fitters don't seem to understand the need for a drip groove on the underside of the overhang - less so nowadays. My "trick" for cut exposed edges and wrap-unders is to treat the wood with a coat of wood hardener, then sand, then oil. One nice thing about wood is that unlike other materials (other than solid surface) it can be patch repaired should the need arise. It is always obviously a patch, but it blends in well with time.

Real wood worktops are a faff from start to finish.
Maybe, but it generates a bit of weekend work for me re-finishing worktops, so I'm happy enough with that :whistle:

I agree that laminate is probably the best all-round, practical material (high gloss excepted). But since when are customers all practical?

What bugs me about timber worktops is they are finished with dsnish oil or osmo oil. But to create a full moisture resistant barrier many coats are applied and the surface ends up being gloss.

Or people get fed up and use a bar top varnish.

Which means the finish looks non natural, kind of ironic really.

Never heard of using pumice stone or rotten stone to rub-out a glossy finish without removing the coating? Used in french polishing. Scotch do non-woven cloths for auto body finishing which have much the same effect.

Stainless steel. £450 including laser cut openings for sink & hob.
Fitted over standard 40mm worktop, with 25mm upstand at rear so no silicone/mastic required.
upload_2019-1-14_18-37-56.png

Last edited:
I'd take real wood over grotty cheap looking laminate any day.
So did I - on my floor. Love it. However, in the interests of sanity, hygiene and sense, laminate serves the purpose, whereas real wood is a huge faff from the get-go.

I'm not knocking wood but I just think harder impermeable surfaces are far better suited to the kitchen. I would never push wood as a worktop, to a customer.

It's often the customer that asks for wood. One or two of the local kitchen firms I know don't normally offer solid wood kitchens because they either don't trust their fitters (not all are chippies), that, or they don't trust their customers to maintain it. But solid wood worktops are fairly traditional and that's the look some people want#, especially if they are doing the painted country/farmhouse look

they don't trust their customers to maintain it.
And there's the rub. There's no end to maintenance alleviating ideas that we incorporate into buildings these days. People don't want fuss.

As long as the fitters are honest and the customer is still keen, then so be it.

Stainless steel. £450 including laser cut openings for sink & hob.
Fitted over standard 40mm worktop, with 25mm upstand at rear so no silicone/mastic required.View attachment 156714

Love the stainless steel. It would never be approved by senior management though! If it was up to me it would be stainless steel and polished concrete all the way.

The backsplash though...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back