The missing window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My worst DIY job was in my early days, over 30 years ago, but I still think back on it with embarrassment and wonder how it worked out.

I was doing up my semi before selling it, and enlarged the kitchen by demolishing the larder. This had its own tiny window (with clear glass) at high level which now looked silly, so I painted around it nicely, fitted a net curtain, put a vase of artificial flowers on the ledge...and boarded it over with plasterboard from the inside, which was made good and painted to match the kitchen.

I often wonder how long it took the new owner to compare the number of windows outside and inside....javascript:emoticon(':oops:')

Sponsored Links
I did the same thing except I painted the inside of the frosted glass white then bricked it up, I always intended bricking up the outside too but could not find bricks that looked anything like the originals.

Hahaha, that's brilliant.

I can imagine the conversation between husband and wife,

"John, where's that window with the horrible net curtain, it's looking manky, give it a clean"

I then imagine an assortment of random holes in the kitchen wall to find said window...

Someone did the same with the extractor fan in my kitchen. It's on the outside but not the inside.

At least I think it's my extractor fan. I don't want to go exploring too much as it's flats and I might find myself in next door's bathroom :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I can just imagine the look of horror on the new owners faces when a burglar bursts through the wall!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back