the MK split load cu (screwfix!! £79-99)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does any-one have an opinion on the MK split load CU offered by screwfix at the moment for £79-99 complete with RCD and 10MCB's?

I'm asking as I've been asked to refer one and having never installed one am somewhat reluctant even though on the whole I've found MK gear pretty spot on and the price does'nt seem too far out!

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=98634&id=64020

comments guys/gal's glady appreciated :confused:

Sponsored Links
i gathered from other forums the current mk CUs are a bit flimsy during install but are fine once screwed together

it is a very good deal containing all or almost all the breakers needed for a domestic install and a few spare on top of that

plugwash said:
it is a very good deal containing all or almost all the breakers needed for a domestic install and a few spare on top of that

shouldn't they be beside the others, not on top? :LOL: ;)

I purchased one a couple of weeks back as I'm doing a total rewire of my bungalow

Thr casework is flimsy, but aren't all manufacturers cost cutting to remain competitve in a cut throat market ?

My only problem was deciding how to fully utilise 10 ways

So far i have

Downstairs ring main

Kitchen ring main

Bedroom ring main

Multimedia room ring main

Cooker

Shower

Radial for fridge freezer

Upstairs light

Downstairs lights

I think that leaves one spare - don't have an immersion heater so can't think what I will ever use it for

Feed to my shed ??

Sponsored Links
lol, try living here, full 21way MK CU plus another one with 2 ways used......and i need to add more circuits! you really can't put enough spare ways in!

thanks all, my customer is supplying himself via screwfix and I have the job of swapping his CU's over just thought i'd do a bit of "background info" on the product having never fitted one before

appreciate the responses

thanks again

spence :D

securespark said:
What do you normally fit?

whatever the customer asks(wherever possible)! plenty of CU's just never this exact one
was just looking to see if any little perculalaritys? could be avoided before i started. :)
thanks again all that replied ( BAS i appreciate the link but customer IS supplying the screwfix jobbie! I take it your not over keen though as the link was for a non MK equivalent?)
:D

By all accounts MK aren't what they used to be. I think that Siemens one is a good price.

No use to me tho - I've just bought a 40-way.

Unless you go to the extra expense of metalclad CUs I think you'll find that all brands are flimsy when it comes to the actuall carcass.
The MK deal on screwfix isn't bad if you can find a use for all of the supplied mcbs.

A better deal is the one from Rexel-Senate.
MK 16-way Split-load, complete with 100A DP incomer and 63A 30ma RCD. All this for £29.99 plus vat.
Mcbs are extra but are only £2.50 each plus vat, and you can choose which and how many you need.

TT

Ban

A better deal is Denmans do their own brand (GE) fully load s/l board 7 x 7 with 14 mcb's for between 69-75, depending on when you buy it.

the thing with buying a brand like MK or hager or wylex (or even volex since there breakers are afaict interchangeable with wylex) is that you know that years down the line the board is still likely to be supported

wylex definately seem the best in this regard you can still buy the old wylex standard boards and i doubt you will see much else of that age still available

finally fitted the above mentioned CU today "flimsy" was an understatement having spent 'eons' correctly alligning all the conductors and earths to ensure there was no undue pressure on the faceplate when fitted(i.e no cables bulging forwards at all) i "confidently went to screw on the face plate.....would it fit right?
/
would it B***ery!

checked all was level and square many times,same result

finally sorted though
customer very very happy....etc!

:evil: .................... :eek: ..... :( ............ :confused: ................ :D

ChrisRogers said:
lol, try living here, full 21way MK CU plus another one with 2 ways used......and i need to add more circuits! you really can't put enough spare ways in!

What supply rating have you?

Is it 125 amps, or 200 amps, three phase etc - that is a awful lot of power you have... or you live in a giant mansion!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back