The mystery of the recline seat motor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 2007 Hyundai Veracruz (105K miles) recline passenger seat motor stopped reclining down.
Removed the seat from the car and the motor from the seat.
Tested the motor on my other Veracruz and it worked fine, recline back (down) and forth (up).

Tested the terminals coming from the switch WITHOUT the motor connected to it and +12V when reclining and -12V when returning so terminals are ok.
But when I connect the motor to the terminals the motor goes up (-12V) but no +12V is shown on the terminal connectors on the multimeter.

So I checked all wires and the limit switch with the multimeter and seems to work fine.

Can anyone help me explain why the terminal connector shows + and -12V when the motor is not connected and no +12V when I connect the motor terminal?
The components involved are: motor, limit switch and the recline switch button. Any idea witch one has the problem so I buy and replace?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You have a high resistance connection somewhere in the circuit, the meter draws very little current which it can supply but when you operate the seat the resistance causes the voltage to drop to nothing.

The way to check is to connect the meter to either side of each component in circuit and trace back until the 12v is still there with the switch operated. I would think the operating button is the most likely culpret.

Peter

As above ..............
Its only when you load the circuit, that the bad connection shows its ugly head.

Sponsored Links
You have a high resistance connection somewhere in the circuit, the meter draws very little current which it can supply but when you operate the seat the resistance causes the voltage to drop to nothing.

The way to check is to connect the meter to either side of each component in circuit and trace back until the 12v is still there with the switch operated. I would think the operating button is the most likely culpret.

Peter

Thank you for the help you where right,button is the problem!

Back