The Mystery of the Whistling Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For around six months my Vokera Vision 25C has been making a short whistling noise when the hot tap is turned on. It started intermittently initially but now its everytime hot water is called for. I can’t recall any works to anything when it started. The noise lasts for two seconds max and I assumed it would be fixed at service.

Well today it was serviced. The engineer opened and cleaned the insides, the noise was still present, removed the DHW heat exchanger having drained down the boiler and washed that in the garden – noise still present. The heating system magnetic filter was emptied, inhibitor added and topped up, all radiators bled. Still the short noise.

The noise is not present when the heating is on. It is only present for two seconds shortly after the hot water is turned on. If you leave the hot tap on then its fine until its turned off and on again and the noise returns.

It sounds like a wet finger on a glass of wine and I have some recordings. It seems to be coming from the flue as its almost as loud outside as inside.

My boiler engineer is old school and says he will look into it / call Vokera. I thought I would post on here to see if anyone had any suggestions and I made a video whilst he was here (inside:
Outside:
). Any advice would be well appreciated.

Sponsored Links
That sounds like a combustion problem it starts as soon as the boiler ignites, an experienced engineer should be able to sort that out easily enough, not something you can do yourself @vulcancontinental might have come accross it before, I have tagged him for you

Thanks Ian

My guy is a local independent Gas Safe engineer. He's been servicing my boilers and doing my Gas Safe Certs for ages. He just spent half a day and wasn't really sure.

He thought it could be something like the gas valve or mix after everything else didn't make a difference. Thanks for Tagging @vulcancontinental

Sponsored Links
It does sound like a combustion issue ss the boiler starts at ignition fan sped the ramps up to max for hot water after a short period. Did your engineer not carry out copmbustion checks to confirm correct combustion?

He stuck the analyser in the flue - but I'm not 100% sure. I will ask him. Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back