The New FERREX bushless commbi drill "Out Now!" (Aldi stores apply)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So moving farward from our banned little descuasion
I decided to run round like an idiot yesterday Saturday afternoon (as adviced to do so) and find the new relise of the Aldis battery power tool
So I found a shop that sold them! And I also decided to buy one of there drills as listed in the OP title

Now onto the drill its self. In the manual it says the following

Function Selection torque adjustment ring

Screwing 1-21

Drilling
Brickwork N/A
wood N/A
Metal N/A

And it even has a little symbol for each one of them in the manual and on the drill. However! there is no screwing symbol on the drill and the manual states that only the torque setting will only work on screwing setting. As this is not present on the drill, I have to say the settings from 1-21 seam to make no odds as if they where no present. Meaning that the drill has no gears its self

Sponsored Links
the torque settings 1-21 allow the clutch to SLIP at different times
Each torque setting acts like a guard to stop screw heads or materials your driving into becoming damaged.

The higher the torque setting number the more drive the drill has, until the required torque for this number has been reached.
i now use an impact driver , i have never found the combi drill much good for screws , even for DIY

I would rather have brushless for the extra battery life that gives

Sponsored Links

i now use an impact driver , i have never found the combi drill much good for screws , even for DIY
So its got nothing to do with the speed or torque or the drive, its just when it over loads right?
Is 21 the safest (for the drill) setting best?

If you are doing Kitchen carcasses, then 21 would just make you strip every screw. You use the right number to suit the screw/bolt/etc and material being used. 21 is for 150-200mm m8/m10 coach bolts into sleepers...

So its got nothing to do with the speed or torque or the drive, its just when it over loads right?
Is 21 the safest (for the drill) setting best?

It's a sort of clutch release setting number. The higher the number, the higher the torque it applies to the screw or bolt head. Apply too much torque/ too high a number, and it will strip or snap the screw. When tightening screws, start with a low number, then increase it gradually, until you find the number which just does the job - simples.

It's a sort of clutch release setting number. The higher the number, the higher the torque it applies to the screw or bolt head. Apply too much torque/ too high a number, and it will strip or snap the screw. When tightening screws, start with a low number, then increase it gradually, until you find the number which just does the job - simples.

I recently spent the best part of £300 on a Metabo 18v cordless (drill plus one battery- no charger). It is a 3 speed drill, up to 3800 rpm.

It is the first drill that I have ever owned that slows down the RPM when you lower the torque. I haven't used it as a screwdriver yet. I guess the lower RPM makes sense though. It also has a feature that may, or may not come in handy- it is called "impuls"- the driver stutters when drilling small holes in to metal. They claim that it will allow you to drill into stainless steel without needing to use a punch first, it seems to work using a "similar" concept as impact drivers, and can additionally remove stubborn screws.

Not the same model as mine, but the same feature

sadly unlike the manual. the drill has no setting for screwdriver and only setting for drilling of masonry, wood and metal

The 1 to 21 is the screw setting.

To use it put it on 1.
Try to screw a screw into wood.
Drill will stop before screw head is flat with wood surface.
Increase number until screw is screwed head flush with wood.
Keep using that number.

Last edited:
I recently spent the best part of £300 on a Metabo 18v cordless (drill plus one battery- no charger). It is a 3 speed drill, up to 3800 rpm.

It is the first drill that I have ever owned that slows down the RPM when you lower the torque. I haven't used it as a screwdriver yet. I guess the lower RPM makes sense though. It also has a feature that may, or may not come in handy- it is called "impuls"- the driver stutters when drilling small holes in to metal. They claim that it will allow you to drill into stainless steel without needing to use a punch first, it seems to work using a "similar" concept as impact drivers, and can additionally remove stubborn screws.

Not the same model as mine, but the same feature

I've had a hypnotic episode listening to that. o_O.

Well cool. I just need Ryobi to add that feature to a drill for £300 less and I'm in.

I've had a hypnotic episode listening to that. o_O.

Well cool. I just need Ryobi to add that feature to a drill for £300 less and I'm in.
I didn't listen to it.

By the time I search for things... I am in the pub, so no audio.

You must be one of those inconsiderate people to work with then! I was working on a job a couple of weeks ago and the bathroom fitter was laying ply over the floorboards prior to tiling the bathroom floor, he was using his impact driver to drive 25mm screws into the ply! I told him he would be going deaf and knacker his wrists but he just carried on making a racket for no reason! Moron

You must be one of those inconsiderate people to work with then! I was working on a job a couple of weeks ago and the bathroom fitter was laying ply over the floorboards prior to tiling the bathroom floor, he was using his impact driver to drive 25mm screws into the ply! I told him he would be going deaf and knacker his wrists but he just carried on making a racket for no reason! Moron

Surely, using an impact driver would not damage his wrist? Noise, yeah, but you shouldn't have rotational stresses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back